Are e- cigarettes less harmful than smoking?

E- ciggerettes also known as JUULS use a battery to heat up a special liquid into an aerosol that users inhale. The juice that fills up the pod usually contains nicotine which comes from many chemicals. These claim to have no nicotine in them, but yet there are many traces to their being nicotine in them. These we first introduced in 2003 by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik. In 2004 with the help of chinese inverstors this product was introduced to the Chinese market. This then became apart of the United States market in the mid 2000'S and by 2010 additional brands like this appered in the market as well.

The popularity has risen since 2007 as they are advertised through ads on TV's, computers, phones and other places.  More often celebrities are often in the ads which has contributed to a large increase in sales by both adults and teens. In 2013 over 13.1 million teens/kids knew about e- ciggerettes. These trends have lead to many concerns by many people such as the government, teachers, and parents. They are concerned about teens getting addicted to nicotine and how they can help prevent this from happening. Many places like schools and other school sponsered places dont allow smoking or vaping on the property of all ages. 

They are trying to make it harder for teens to be able to get e- ciggerettes by setting the age limit to 21 and ID everyone who wants to buy one. There are many place that don't allow smoking on the propery like schools. The government also encourages parents to talk to their teens about vaping and the health concerns it has. Some parents don't smoke or vape as an example for their kids and ensure their school district has a tobacco free policy. 

Many of these procausions are making it harder for teens to be able to vape. I believe even though it didn't directly say they are more harmful they are. Nothing is safe about putting chemicals in your lungs. I think many kids think vaping is bad  but get peer preasured to vape. I think kids should stick up for what they believe in and not do dumb things because eventually those things will have negitive affects. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK538684/#:~:text=The%20product%20gained%20some%20attention,2013)

https://www.lung.org/quit-smoking/e-cigarettes-vaping/whats-in-an-e-cigarette

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/takeaction.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion, they are both very harmful and addictive and you shouldn't smoke either. I feel that many think that e-cigarettes are more harmful because they are flavored, so they are more addictive to young people because of the flavor. We also just know less about the side effects of them and what they can cause to your lungs.

• I think nicotine in general is bad for people especially kids they have their whole lives ahead of them and they waste it for whatever reason it has no benefits it is only gonna cause problems for these kids that use e-cigarettes in the future. 

• I don't believe that e-cigarettes are less harmful than smoking. Even if e-cigarettes contain fewer chemicals than smoking tobacco, they are still bad and dangerous for the human body. I think e-cigarettes are harmful enough to potentially kill someone.

• I dont think cigarettes are good in general but e cigs dont sound any better than normal, you are inhaling toxix plastic and other stuff that trys to taste like apples. both of them arent good 

• While cigarettes can cause cancer I do think they're healthier because e-cigarettes have many chemicals in them. I think kids that grow up with parents that smoke are more likely to smoke aswell.

• I just feel like juuls/vapes and cigarettes are just really bad for the body. Its so dangerous putting those chemicals in your body. They are very addictive and costly, so your body wants you to keep buying more and more and using them.

• I agree I think they are all just as bad for the body and will all eventually cause some damage on your body. Its very dangerous to become addicted to those harsh chemicals your putting into your body and yeah not to mention the addiction gets expensive. 

• I think e-cigarettes are more harmful because there is more chemicals in the pods that are used in the vapes. There is also lots of nicotine in the pods everytime you take a rip. These are very addicting especially for the young people that started using them and now will be using them for most of their life ruining their chances with future jobs, colleges, and more.

• I think that e-cigarettes are more harmful because it has a lot more nicotine and way more chemicals. And, since they are so popular with the younger generation, the users now will keep using them their entire life. This could ruin their life and make it harder to get a job, as well as ruin their social liofe too.

• I think e-cigarettes are more harmful to thge human body. I think that because they user for people to use where ever and whenever. I also think all smoking or vaping bad for you. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker