Are E-cigarettes Harmful for Teens?

It seems that the use of electronic cigarettes is more than just a passing fad. The devices introduced in 2006 are now more popular than conventional cigarettes. In 2014 2.5 million middle and high schoolers used e-cigarettes. This is triple what it was the year before. The Center for Disease Control director Tom Freedon states that, "We need to stop before another generation gets hooked on nicotine." Even though traditional smoking has declined, Freedon also states that no matter the delivery method, nicotine is dangerous for kids who's brains are developing.

The e-cigarette companies use different methods for promoting and advertising that is different that traditional cigarettes. Marketing includes sweet flavors, cartoons and provocative ads. Endorsed by former Playboy Playmate, Jenny McCarthy, the devices are advertised as a "smarter alternative to cigarettes." 

The explosive rise in the use of electronic cigarettes threatens to undermine the 50 years of progress made trying to de-glamorize the way teens see smoking. The Food and Drug Administration has failed to implement any rules, even though 4 years ago they promised to do so. 

Read the full story here

Questions:

Do you think the Food and Drug Administration should make it harder for teens to get e-cigarettes? Why?

Why do you think e-cigarette companies advertise the way they do?

My Opinion: I do think that teens under the age of 18 do not have any trouble obtaining  cigarettes and that there should be more regulations involving that to help stop the addiction to nicotine. I think these companies are specifically advertising to the teenage age group and know what will draw them in. They have realized these techniques are the ones that draw the attention of their prime target. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job overall but all of your comments were done on one day. I am promoting to go in three days.

• I think that they should try and make it so these electric cigarettes are harder to obtain by teens. Smoking in any way is just wrong and I don't see why people like doing it. They must think it's 'cool' but it so most certainly not. They advertise the way they do to probably gain money. That's all everyone wants nowadays right?

• I think that someone need to try and get rid of them and make it so kids and teens not get it. But yet parents that don't care will get there kids that so I think they just need to take it all away. I think they should just take it away so nobody can get them because they make it look like its not bad and make it fun for kids to think it's okay. I feel like all the teens and kids that have them are the parents that don't care or friends give it to them. I feel they should just take e-cigarettes and regular cigarettes away to.

• Well taking them all away would certainly solve the problem! However, I don't think that would be very easy to accomplish. I agree that they are trying to glamorize smoking to make it appeal to kids.

• I don't know what the FDA can do.  Teenagers under 18 can easily get cigarettes, because they could have someone older get get them the cigarettes.  I think that the companies advertise they way they do, to make it look like these are better than the real cigarettes, and not as dangerous.  But these are just as bad for people smoking them.   

• I absolutely agree that the way the companies advertise is very misleading, and they do make it seem like they are less harmful when really they have the same addiction factor.

• I think that we should just get rid of all the drugs and cigarettes because all it does is cause problems. I think that they advertise to make us think that it isn't as bad for us as it really is. Also, it is something new that many people would probably want to try.

• The fact that it is new technology I think would definitely have a factor in all the interest in these products. Also, getting rid of drugs all together would be a difficult thing to get Americans to agree to, and I think they would backlash.

• I think the FDA should make it harder, like you have to be a certain age, but there are those people who will give it to the underage person. I think they advertise the way they do because its interesting to some. Though you can't stop teens, there should be something more strict you need to do.

• I agree that there is many people that willingly would provide these to under age kids and that there should be stricter laws in place.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker