Are Books Better than the Movies?

Are the books better than the movies? Over the years there have been many good books that were turned into movies. Although they usually are never exactly like the books. A survey of teenagers showed that a fourth would read the book, and less than an eighth would read the book and watch the movie. It shows that most teenagers would rather just watch the movie.

There are many advantages to reading the book rather than just watching the movie. Reading the book allows your mind to be creative. You are able to interpret the plot as you like and imagine what the characters look like. Books can give the reader more details because they aren’t limited to a certain amount of time. Books are also proven to enhance your spelling, punctuation, and grammar. 

While there are many advantages to reading, there are many advantages to watching the movie. Reading is an individual thing, but watching a movie doesn’t have to be. You can watch a movie with your friends and family. While reading an entire book multiple days, watching the movie will help you understand the entire storyline in about two hours. Some people also like to actually see what is happening because it helps them understand it better or even remember it better.

One thing readers don’t like about the movies’ based on books is that they are always different. So why are the movies different from the books. One main reason movies are different is because movies don’t allow enough time for all the details and plot that are in the book. The way books are set to narrate certain things to move the story along, but movies don’t have that. So they are changed to move the story along without the narratives. Another reason is the screenwriters don’t want people to have the same experience twice, so they change it to make a new experience for people.

I think that the books are better than the movies because I like how a lot more can happen in the books and it's in a lot more detail. I would also rather read the book before watching the movie for those reasons. I think that it's fine if little details change in the movie as long as the story is basically still the same. Although I have seen a movie that had an added element that isn’t in the book and I don’t think they should do that.

Sources:

https://www.kingschester.co.uk/news/bbc-school-reports/books-better-films/#:~:text=Furthermore%2C%20books%20are%20much%20more,detailing%20their%20emotions%20and%20thoughts

https://slate.com/culture/2009/02/why-does-hollywood-take-our-favorite-novels-and-turn-them-into-crap.html 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-watching-better-than-reading-benefit-movies-kezia-karen-liandro#:~:text=Watching%20a%20movie%20is%20much,you%20visualize%20the%20situation%20easily.
https://spotlightonline.co/2017/03/02/why-are-movie-adaptations-different-from-the-books/#:~:text=In%20addition%2C%20the%20narrative%20limitations,the%20events%20from%20a%20book.

Do you think the books are better or the movies?

Would you rather read the book then watch the movie, or watch the movie then read the book?

Do you think movies should be exactly like the books or is it good that there are some differences?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I dont think books are better than movies. Because I don't like to read and when I do read I cant visualise what is going on very well and when its in a movie I can see what is going on. I rather watch a movie than read a book.

• I know in my english class we talked about people who could visualize the story in their heads and those who couldn't. Almost everyone who liked reading said they could visualize what is going on in their head. So I think that is a huge part of weither or not someone likes reading better or the movies.

• I think that the book tend to be better than the movie but it just depends what is is and who it is from like Dr Seuss i think his movies are better than his books. I also like the polt in the movie than the books becouse I can see them. 

• I guess that is really true it does depend on who rights it and what the story is. I do think or at least hope that when they are choosing a book to make a movie of they take into count what they are able to do movie wise and how good the book is.

• I personaly belive that movies will always be better than movies. With books it takes much longer to get all the way throught it, but with movies i could range to about and hour and a half witch is mush shorter than a week long book. 

• Movies are really good and a lot more fun than books. I do like reading the books better but I do appreciate how movies allow you see what is happening in the story with a lot less stress on your mind. And the best part is definitely the time difference of reading the book to watching the movie.

• I think that books are better than movies because just take the Percy Jackson books vs the movies. The books are great, but the movies are awful. and in lord of the rings there are so many things missing in the movies that are in the books.

• I have read the Percy Jackson books but I have only ever watched the first movie and barely at that because I didn't really pay attention, so I don't think I can really say anything on that. Although I have read this one book that has a really bad movie.

• I think that movies are better than books. I just like watching movies because then I can see what is going on. I prefer to read the book then watch the movie because most books have more detials then movies. I like to see how the book and movie compare.

• I also like to see how the book and movie campare. I think that if thats something you want to do you have to read the book first to catch more things, just because the book has a lot more details than the movie does. Although seeing what is going on is always a plus.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker