Are 14 years of school rational?

As an American, you usually attend school for 14 years, including preschool and kindergarten. Is this a rational system set up by our government? Many people also decide to attend college which brings up those years to 16-18 years. 

The reason school started and lasts so long is that children were no longer as much needed on farms and were too young to work in factories. So children were instead sent to school to advance their education and prepare them for harder more technological jobs and over time schools settles into the 12-14 year-long course.

We spend most of our year in school, is it beneficial? Some studies show that, yes, it is. Students have enough time to receive new information from their teachers and have enough time each day and each school year to study this information and take the quizzes related to it. Some people even believe that school should be year-round instead of only 9 months.

Other people disagree with this and say the school should have shortened years. These people believe that mental health plays a big part in productivity at school and school causes poor mental health, so giving students a chance to breathe from school instead of giving them 3 months break, they believe the break from school should be longer. Students could also use this time to gain the necessary skills that they get from being outside of school, like motor skills. People could also use this time for their jobs to gain money for after school.

Should school years be shortened?

What benefits are from either circumstance?

https://www.wonderopolis.org/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that school should begin later, I wouldn't mind leaving school later and starting later.

• Yes I think shcool years need to be shorted because kids need to find out what the real world is like and they can do that by shortening school and making summer longer so kids can get jobs and figure out what they want to do when they grow up.

• I agree that summer should be longer! Giving longer breaks to students can be really beneficial

• I think it is rational. I feel we do spend alot of our young years in school. But this is for our benefit. I feel that 18 is a good graduating age. If we went to 20 it would be way to long. Good topic. 

• I agree that 18 is a pretty good year to end highschool, you are becoming an adult and have more freedoms than you would at, say 16 years old.

• I think that school could be shortened a couple years. I think it should be an option to have some extra formation years or not. I think attending more years will provide students a more solid education and prepare them more for the future. 

• Giving students optional years to attend is an interesting idea! I would love to see schools implement this idea to see the effect of it.

• I think that school years should be shortened. but, if they were shortened i think that we would have to attend for more years so we can get all the education that we need. I think school is necessary to a limit. i think school days can be shortened and you should be able to attend extra activities (like woods, ag, art, ect) by choice. 

• bump

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker