Amelia Earhart - Where Did She Go?

Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer. She was the first female to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. She set world records, wrote books, and promoted female empowerment.  She was an inspiration to all, and yet, on one fatal flight, she disappeared, never to be seen again. People are still intrigued by Earhart’s disappearance over 80 years ago, whether it is tied up in conspiracy theories or not. 

Amelia was born on July 24, 1897, in Atchison Kansas, and later, in 1909 Amelia and her sister moved to Des Moines, Iowa with their father. In 1917, WW1 was at an all-time high, and Earhart saw the returning wounded soldiers. She received training from the Red Cross, and there Earhart heard stories from military pilots and started to have an interest in flying. After Charles Lindberg's solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927, Amy Guest was interested in being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. But she then offered to sponsor the project and wanted to find a different pilot. This is where Amelia stepped in, and would disappear forever. 

On July 2, 1937, Earhart and Fred Noonan ( her navigator) left Lae, New Guinea. They were flying to  Howland Island, in the central Pacific Ocean, but they never landed there. The government attempted to find Earhart for sixteen days. This involved nine vessels, sixty-six aircraft, and four thousand crewmen. By 1939, Earhart and Noonan were declared dead. Because the bodies and planes were never found, there are many conspiracy theories about what all went down. 

THEORIES

Crash-and-sink theorists believe that Earhart ran out of fuel when they were trying to locate tiny Howland Island, crashed into the ocean, and eventually drowned.

A photo found in the National Archives shows a woman who looked like Earhart in the Marshall Islands and a man who looks like Noonan. This helped push the theory that Earhart and Noonan didn't crash, and landed in the Marshall Islands, where the Japanese or other people took them as prisoners.

Another theory suggests that Earhart managed to land her aircraft, but not on Howland Island. The International Historic Aircraft Recovery Group believes Earhart landed on an island that is now called Nikumaroro instead and then died as a castaway. 

One extreme theory believes that Earhart was more than just a brave pilot about to become the first woman to fly across the world - she was really a government agent, who either changed her identity and lived the rest of her life peacefully or was sabotaged by enemy spies/countries.

Source 1   Source 2  Source 3  Source 4

QUESTIONS

Which conspiracy theory seems most likely to be true?

Do you believe in conspiracies like these?

Have you heard of any theories about Amelia Earhart before?

How do you think she died? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Your point makes sense. She is more likely to run out of fuel than to be a government agent. Hearing conspiracy theories like these is also fun for me because I can see what people think and how what their imagination creates. 

• I think that she probably got eaten by the crabs. There are many conspiracies but most sound very unreal.

• I believe the one that she ran out of fuel and drowned. I don't really believe in these theories because they don't sound right. I have heard about these theories before. I think she died by drowning in the ocean.

• True, some theories don't make sense, and I agree that the drowning and dying theory is the most likely out of all of them. Many people think that this is how and why Amelia Earhart disappeared. 

• I think that the first theory could be true and would be the most likely possible. I have never heard of these theories but I think that the people who come up with these theories should have at least a little of evidence. I think she drowned and they were not able to make it to the island.

• I agree with your statement. Conspiracy theorists should bring up evidence when they make the theories, so we can see if it could be true or not. I think that having evidence can turn theories into actual answers. 

• i think the first one is a most likly one. yes i believe this because there would be decendents of her or more information on her. ive heard tons of differnet theories about amelia earhart. im pretter sure she crashed and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

• True, she would have descendants or family members who might have had more information on her. I could see how she might have crashed and sunk to the bottom of the ocean, and over 75% of the ocean has still yet to be explored. 

• One conspiracy that ive heard that ive found potentially true is her landing for fuel on a peace of land she found and turned out that the people there were not so friendly and kidnaped her kept her prisoner and tried to use her as ransom against America but the government keep it quit and slowly made people believe that she crashed or just didn't make it back. 

• I think that this theory could be true. There is so much information that we don't know, and it is interesting to see what people think. I think that the plane crashed, and she either died as a castaway or she drowned. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker