Amelia Earhart - Where Did She Go?

Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer. She was the first female to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. She set world records, wrote books, and promoted female empowerment.  She was an inspiration to all, and yet, on one fatal flight, she disappeared, never to be seen again. People are still intrigued by Earhart’s disappearance over 80 years ago, whether it is tied up in conspiracy theories or not. 

Amelia was born on July 24, 1897, in Atchison Kansas, and later, in 1909 Amelia and her sister moved to Des Moines, Iowa with their father. In 1917, WW1 was at an all-time high, and Earhart saw the returning wounded soldiers. She received training from the Red Cross, and there Earhart heard stories from military pilots and started to have an interest in flying. After Charles Lindberg's solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927, Amy Guest was interested in being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. But she then offered to sponsor the project and wanted to find a different pilot. This is where Amelia stepped in, and would disappear forever. 

On July 2, 1937, Earhart and Fred Noonan ( her navigator) left Lae, New Guinea. They were flying to  Howland Island, in the central Pacific Ocean, but they never landed there. The government attempted to find Earhart for sixteen days. This involved nine vessels, sixty-six aircraft, and four thousand crewmen. By 1939, Earhart and Noonan were declared dead. Because the bodies and planes were never found, there are many conspiracy theories about what all went down. 

THEORIES

Crash-and-sink theorists believe that Earhart ran out of fuel when they were trying to locate tiny Howland Island, crashed into the ocean, and eventually drowned.

A photo found in the National Archives shows a woman who looked like Earhart in the Marshall Islands and a man who looks like Noonan. This helped push the theory that Earhart and Noonan didn't crash, and landed in the Marshall Islands, where the Japanese or other people took them as prisoners.

Another theory suggests that Earhart managed to land her aircraft, but not on Howland Island. The International Historic Aircraft Recovery Group believes Earhart landed on an island that is now called Nikumaroro instead and then died as a castaway. 

One extreme theory believes that Earhart was more than just a brave pilot about to become the first woman to fly across the world - she was really a government agent, who either changed her identity and lived the rest of her life peacefully or was sabotaged by enemy spies/countries.

Source 1   Source 2  Source 3  Source 4

QUESTIONS

Which conspiracy theory seems most likely to be true?

Do you believe in conspiracies like these?

Have you heard of any theories about Amelia Earhart before?

How do you think she died? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I thin the theory about her running out of gas and crashing is the one that is most likely to be true. I don't really believe in a lot of conspiracy theorys. I have heard a lot of different theorys about how she died and what happened. I think that she drowned and that is how she died.

• I agree, running out of gas and crashing makes the most sense out of all the theories. Many people also agree with this - it is one of the most common theories that there is.

• I think the theory that she ran out of fuel and crashed is the most realistic. I don't believe in these conspiracy theories even though there is a possiblity they are true. I think it is most likely she died either in the ocean or in a remote area, which explains why no one found her. 

• I believe the conspiracy about her plane running out of fuel and crashing to be the most true because it's the most realistic one and makes the most sense. I have heard of the other theories before, and I do think that they could be true, but they seem too far sketched. I think she definately died in a plane crash.

• You are right, the crash and sink theory makes the most sense of all. Some to me seem a little so far stretched, like her being a government spy, but it could be true. 

• I think that Amelia died in the ocean because her plane ran out of fuel. This theory is probably the one that is most likely to happen. Some conspiracies could/could have happened, but some are very unlikely. The only time that I have heard about any theories were in my U.S. History class.

• Overall I think she died in the ocean from a plane wreck or simply running out of fuel. I think some of the conspiracies people make up are crazy and aren't very beliavable. Out of all of the conspriacies i've heard I ultimately think she ran out of fuel.

• I agree with you. Some theories are simple, like the one where she crashed into the ocean, but others can seem unlikely. I think some good ones are out there, but others are too strange to be believable.   

• One conspiracy is that she landed safely on Howland island. I think one of the conspiracies may be true, but they can be proven without evidence. I think that she crashed into the water and the plane sank too low for anyone to see it.

• The conspiracy theory that I think is most likely to be true is that she ran out of fuel and crashed/died in the ocean. While some of these conspiracies could be true, some of them seem out of the realm of possibility. I have heard many theories about Amelia Earhart but I think the ocean one is most likely to be true.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker