Amelia Earhart - Where Did She Go?

Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer. She was the first female to fly alone across the Atlantic Ocean. She set world records, wrote books, and promoted female empowerment.  She was an inspiration to all, and yet, on one fatal flight, she disappeared, never to be seen again. People are still intrigued by Earhart’s disappearance over 80 years ago, whether it is tied up in conspiracy theories or not. 

Amelia was born on July 24, 1897, in Atchison Kansas, and later, in 1909 Amelia and her sister moved to Des Moines, Iowa with their father. In 1917, WW1 was at an all-time high, and Earhart saw the returning wounded soldiers. She received training from the Red Cross, and there Earhart heard stories from military pilots and started to have an interest in flying. After Charles Lindberg's solo flight across the Atlantic in 1927, Amy Guest was interested in being the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. But she then offered to sponsor the project and wanted to find a different pilot. This is where Amelia stepped in, and would disappear forever. 

On July 2, 1937, Earhart and Fred Noonan ( her navigator) left Lae, New Guinea. They were flying to  Howland Island, in the central Pacific Ocean, but they never landed there. The government attempted to find Earhart for sixteen days. This involved nine vessels, sixty-six aircraft, and four thousand crewmen. By 1939, Earhart and Noonan were declared dead. Because the bodies and planes were never found, there are many conspiracy theories about what all went down. 

THEORIES

Crash-and-sink theorists believe that Earhart ran out of fuel when they were trying to locate tiny Howland Island, crashed into the ocean, and eventually drowned.

A photo found in the National Archives shows a woman who looked like Earhart in the Marshall Islands and a man who looks like Noonan. This helped push the theory that Earhart and Noonan didn't crash, and landed in the Marshall Islands, where the Japanese or other people took them as prisoners.

Another theory suggests that Earhart managed to land her aircraft, but not on Howland Island. The International Historic Aircraft Recovery Group believes Earhart landed on an island that is now called Nikumaroro instead and then died as a castaway. 

One extreme theory believes that Earhart was more than just a brave pilot about to become the first woman to fly across the world - she was really a government agent, who either changed her identity and lived the rest of her life peacefully or was sabotaged by enemy spies/countries.

Source 1   Source 2  Source 3  Source 4

QUESTIONS

Which conspiracy theory seems most likely to be true?

Do you believe in conspiracies like these?

Have you heard of any theories about Amelia Earhart before?

How do you think she died? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Most people believe that that is how she disappeared and died. Some do seem true, or likely - but others seem improbable. 

• I believe she just died in the ocean from either a plane wreck or she ran out of fuel. These conspiracies may be possible, but a lot of people like to make up things in their mind and then they end up believing it. I've heard about many conspiracies of Amelia Earhart.

• I agree with you. Many conspiracies are made and the people that created it believe it to be true. 

• I think that the conspiracy theory that seems most likely to be true would be that she ran out of fuel, crashed into the open ocean, and drowned. I don't if I ever really believe in conspiracies like these but they are fun to hear. I never heard ony of the conspiracies about her before last semester.

• I agree, I think that it is the simplest theory, and it makes the most sense. I don't hear many conspiracy theories, so whenever I do, it is always fun to see different people's perspectives. 

• I think the theory that she simply ran out of fuel on her way to Howland Island is most likely to be true. I think when investigations end without a clear conclusion it leaves a lot of information open to the interpretation of the public. I think she either crashed in the ocean and drowned, or starved to death on an island. 

• Yes, I agree that Earhart must have run out of fuel during her flight. I also agree that when so many facts and explanations are missing, many people interpret it in their own way. 

• I believe that she crashed, on some remote island, where she died, and was eaten by some sort of animals. I think the conspiracies are intresting but sometimes a bit far-fecthed. But that doesn't pollute my interest in them, conspiracy theories are consistently interesting, and there is always a possibilty of truth with them.

• It's true, that every conspiracy theory is a little different than the others, and because we don't have all the information, anything could be the truth. 

• i think she crashed landed and tried to survive and crabs ate her. they could be true but who actully knows, ive heard quiet a bit of the theroys and things that has been said. shes dead becuase all that time and little supplies she has

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker