AMBER Alerts

AMBER Alerts are alerts that you get on your phone when a child that is 17 or under goes missing. These alerts are sent to people that are in a certain range of the child that has been abducted. AMBER alerts will state the name and description of the person that was kidnapped and the description of the person that took them, as well as the vehicle information. In order for an AMBER alert to be issued, the law enforcement has to believe that the child is in serious danger, and they have to have information about the child as well as the abducter. The child also has to be added into the National Crime Information Center system.

AMBER stands for America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response. It is also named after Amber Hagerman who was kidnapped on January 13th, 1996, while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. She was taken into a truck where she was later murdered. Her body was found 4 days later, but the abducter was never found. The Arlington Police Department are still searching to find who did this. 

Around 1,186 children have been found because of AMBER alerts. AMBER alerts help to get the information out so that people can help look for the child. They can also be used to scare the abducter. Some kidnappers may feel more inclined to return the child if they know that people are looking for the child and they could be found. 

AMBER alerts are a great way that our society has grown. Families are able to get more help to find their child. Not everyone looks at the AMBER alerts, but even the help of one person being on the lookout can help save a child's life.

When AMBER alerts come onto my phone, I always look at them. Reading the information that is written on the alerts could make a difference. I think that AMBER alerts are very helpful, even one more child found, is better than none. If I saw the vehicle or person described in the alert I believe that I would call if I was sure that it was the right person or car.

SOURCES:

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/guidelines-for-issuing-alerts

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/faqs

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/28-years-later-who-killed-amber-hagerman/

QUESTIONS:

Do you read the AMBER alerts that you get?

Do you think that AMBER alerts are beneficial?

Would you call the police if you saw the vehicle or person described in the AMBER ALERT?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I usually always read the AMBER Alerts that I get on my phone. I do think AMBER alerts are beneficial because it gives everyone the information needed to be able to help if they saw something. I would call if I saw the vehicle or person described in the AMBER alert.

• I do get the AMBER alerts on my phone and I alway read them. I think they are beneficial because they alert everyone in the state to look for a missing child. I would definately call the police if I thought I saw the missing child on the AMBER alert.

• I agree with you, when many people are looking for a child, it makes it much faster.

• I do read the AMBER alerts I get, and I do believe that they are extremley beneficial. Getting a mass message out to people increases the childs chances of being found tremendously. If I saw someone, I would defiently being calling the cops. 

• I agree with you, when many people get a notification it is more likely to make a difference.

• I think sometimes Amber alerts are sometimes benefical depending on what the alert is. The alarm that the amber alert makes drives me crazy to the point where I wish there was a way that we could turn them off.

• I always read AMBER alerts because it can be a tough situation trying to find someone that's missing and if there is any way that I can help, I want to. I think AMBER alerts are very beneficial. If I saw something that the AMBER alert described I would 100% tell someone.

• I agree with you, there are a lot of people in the world, even if one person helps, it can make a huge difference.

• I do read the amber alarts that i get because they do not happen very often and and are when they do come out it is probably not good. i do think that they are beneficial because almost everyone will see it and know what it going on. i think i would but i am not sure if i would call it in. 

• When I get an amber alert I always read them to see what is going on. but usually, the alert isn't around here. I think amber alerts are beneficial. If I saw the suspect I don't know if I would call the cops or not I think I would but I don't know.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker