AMBER Alerts

AMBER Alerts are alerts that you get on your phone when a child that is 17 or under goes missing. These alerts are sent to people that are in a certain range of the child that has been abducted. AMBER alerts will state the name and description of the person that was kidnapped and the description of the person that took them, as well as the vehicle information. In order for an AMBER alert to be issued, the law enforcement has to believe that the child is in serious danger, and they have to have information about the child as well as the abducter. The child also has to be added into the National Crime Information Center system.

AMBER stands for America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response. It is also named after Amber Hagerman who was kidnapped on January 13th, 1996, while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. She was taken into a truck where she was later murdered. Her body was found 4 days later, but the abducter was never found. The Arlington Police Department are still searching to find who did this. 

Around 1,186 children have been found because of AMBER alerts. AMBER alerts help to get the information out so that people can help look for the child. They can also be used to scare the abducter. Some kidnappers may feel more inclined to return the child if they know that people are looking for the child and they could be found. 

AMBER alerts are a great way that our society has grown. Families are able to get more help to find their child. Not everyone looks at the AMBER alerts, but even the help of one person being on the lookout can help save a child's life.

When AMBER alerts come onto my phone, I always look at them. Reading the information that is written on the alerts could make a difference. I think that AMBER alerts are very helpful, even one more child found, is better than none. If I saw the vehicle or person described in the alert I believe that I would call if I was sure that it was the right person or car.

SOURCES:

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/guidelines-for-issuing-alerts

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/faqs

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/28-years-later-who-killed-amber-hagerman/

QUESTIONS:

Do you read the AMBER alerts that you get?

Do you think that AMBER alerts are beneficial?

Would you call the police if you saw the vehicle or person described in the AMBER ALERT?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I read almost all of the AMBER alerts when they are nearby the area on my phone and I think that they are very beneficial because they can help to locate missing people. I would call the police, because you never know and it's better to be safe then sorry.

• I agree with you, when you call the police you could be helping them lots.

• Yes, I do read the amber alerts when they come up on my phone. I think that amber alerts are beneficial because one, it helps find the missing person, and two, it make people more aware to be safe and smart. I would hopefully call the police if I saw the car with the exact description on the amber alert. 

• Whenever I get AMBER alerts, I do read them, and sometimes re-read them. I think they are very beneficial for finding kids, because it increases the amount of people looking for the kid and the criminal. If I ever recognized someone described in the AMBER alert, I would definently call the police.

• I agree with you I think that AMBER alerts help find the kid and the criminal because more people are looking for them.

• I do read the AMBER alerts and I think they are sad and horrible that kids get kidnapped by horrible people. They are helpful and help and find people that were missing or taking. Yes I would and it would of been scary if I was alone seeing people dead in the area.

• Yes, I do read the amber alerts that I get because it might be helpfull some day. Yes, I do think they are helpful. They help get the word out to surronding areas that could be helpfull. I would call the cops and veiw from a safe distance so I wouldn't spoke the person.

• Yes I always read my phone when I get amber alerts. I think they are benefial because it makes people aware of what can happen and in what areas. I would definitly call the police because they could potentially save the person.

• I agree with you, I think that AMBER alerts help people become aware of what has/is happening.

• I hardly ever read the amber alerts and I try to but always forget. I do believe that they are beneficial and think that we should keep them going. I would definitely do whatever I could to help find the missing person.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker