AMBER Alerts

AMBER Alerts are alerts that you get on your phone when a child that is 17 or under goes missing. These alerts are sent to people that are in a certain range of the child that has been abducted. AMBER alerts will state the name and description of the person that was kidnapped and the description of the person that took them, as well as the vehicle information. In order for an AMBER alert to be issued, the law enforcement has to believe that the child is in serious danger, and they have to have information about the child as well as the abducter. The child also has to be added into the National Crime Information Center system.

AMBER stands for America’s Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response. It is also named after Amber Hagerman who was kidnapped on January 13th, 1996, while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas. She was taken into a truck where she was later murdered. Her body was found 4 days later, but the abducter was never found. The Arlington Police Department are still searching to find who did this. 

Around 1,186 children have been found because of AMBER alerts. AMBER alerts help to get the information out so that people can help look for the child. They can also be used to scare the abducter. Some kidnappers may feel more inclined to return the child if they know that people are looking for the child and they could be found. 

AMBER alerts are a great way that our society has grown. Families are able to get more help to find their child. Not everyone looks at the AMBER alerts, but even the help of one person being on the lookout can help save a child's life.

When AMBER alerts come onto my phone, I always look at them. Reading the information that is written on the alerts could make a difference. I think that AMBER alerts are very helpful, even one more child found, is better than none. If I saw the vehicle or person described in the alert I believe that I would call if I was sure that it was the right person or car.

SOURCES:

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/guidelines-for-issuing-alerts

https://amberalert.ojp.gov/about/faqs

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/28-years-later-who-killed-amber-hagerman/

QUESTIONS:

Do you read the AMBER alerts that you get?

Do you think that AMBER alerts are beneficial?

Would you call the police if you saw the vehicle or person described in the AMBER ALERT?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I always read the AMBER alerts that I receive, I think they are very beneficial because there are people who are paying attention or are on the lookout to help, or even if they are not, even by chance they manage to find those children. Of course I would let you know if I found the child or the vehicle.

• I agree with you, when people are on the lookout or aware that someone is missing, the child is more likely to be found.

• i always read amber alerts when i get some because they just pop up on my screen. I think they are very beneificial because it pops up on everyones phone screen in the area to let them know if someone is missing or anything like so. If i saw the vehicle or person decribed in the amber alert i would defitnally call the police because someone is in danger and the police would be happy and so would the family. 

• I agree with you, because the alert goes to everyone's phones in the area, more people are likely to read it.

• Yes, I have read several Amber alerts but not all the ones that reach me or only the beginning of it. I think they do benifit a lot, as for us to be cautious and I also feel that this way they speed up the search. Of course I would call but, I think I would call only if I am totally sure that it is that person or the car that is being talked about. 

• I agree with you, when more people are helping to find the child, the search could go much faster.

• When I do sometimes get the Amber alerts I do hear my phone just go and make a huge noise so I go over and I open my phone and I try and read it before the alert does go away so I now what is happened out their or if its something else

• I always try to read the AMBER alerts when I get them and if they have saved about 1,186 lives then I think they are beneficial. If I knew that I saw the vehicle, kidnapper, or child from the AMBER alert I would call the police.

• I agree with you, AMBER alerts have already made a huge difference.

• I read the amber alerts we get because sometimes they are close to you and it's just interesting. Yes, amber alerts are beneficial because there have been multiple cases when they help with the case. Yes of course I would call the police and turn them in.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker