ALS Ice Bucket Challange: Is it making a difference?

If you've been on any form of social media within the past few weeks, you've probably heard of the ALS Ice Bucket challenge. ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a horrible disease that leads to loss of muscle movement and eventually death.  Recently a trend has been going around where people are challenging one another to dump a bucket of ice water on themselves as a way to raise awareness and money for this deadly disease. While many people think that the ice bucket trend has been a great thing, there are also many people who disagree with it. People who do not support the challenge believe that it's not doing any good, that people are just dumping a bucket of ice on themselves for fun, to get attention, or just because everyone else seems to be doing it; not because of what it's really meant to stand for. While others believe that it's doing exactly what it's meant for, to raise money and awareness for the disease. So that leads to my questions, do you support the ALS Ice bucket challenge, why or why not? What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it's making a difference?

Find an article in support of the challenge here.

Find an article on why people shouldn't take the challenge here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic! Excellent job!

• I do support it because it does help raise awareness for this deadly disease. Also the donations help in finding a cure.

• I definitely support the ice bucket challenge because it is standing for a disease that is on the down low but is rising. I think that it is awesome and fun to watch people doing it and to know that you are making a difference in what you are doing. 

• The ALS Ice Bucket challenge has been making a difference. It is making people aware of what is happening to others with this disease. This has also helped raise millions of dollars to help research ALS. Even if people do not donate, it is still representing a little feel of what it feels like to have ALS. Just having the challenge popular can help raise money and inform people about what it is. 

• I think it's a good way to raise awareness and people really love doing the ice bucket challenge. I have heard that some people didn't want to use water so they used buckets of wine to dump on their head which is just ridiculous but it still gets awareness. I also think it's getting enough awareness so it's making a difference.

• I agree, the goal was to raise awareness and they are definitely doing that!

• I think it is a noble idea at the start, but you have the question, is it still? People seem to just be throwing the challenge around, not really caring what it is for. Now, it seems to almost have become a joke. Recently, for example, the Old Spice actor Terry Crews did the ice bucket challenge.

But not really.

When they dumped the water on him, a force field popped up and protected him from the water. Sure, he then put a $1000 to the ALS research, but did he really do the ice bucket challenge?

• I definitely see your point of view! I agree, it seems like there are some people out there that are doing it more to draw attention to themselves, rather than the disease.

• I support the challenge and think it's a good idea because it is raising awareness and getting a lot of people in the community to donate money. I think there's a lot of people making a difference, it's just that not everybody realizes it.

• I agree, I think it's making a big difference!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker