What started as a deeply emotional race for Tony Stewart ended prematurely when a blown tire cut short his return to NASCAR.

Stewart came back to competition Sunday for the first time since his car struck and killed another driver on August 9.

The crowd at the Oral-B USA 500 erupted in cheers as Stewart was introduced. But after just 172 of 325 laps at the Atlanta Motor Speedway, his front right tire blew, and Stewart's car smacked the wall on Turn 2.

In the end, Kasey Kahne won the race and clinched a spot in the "Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup" playoff. Matt Kenseth came in second, and Denny Hamlin finished third.

But many thoughts were with Stewart and Kevin Ward Jr., the 20-year-old driver who was killed at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park in New York.

Stewart declined to speak to a reporter after Sunday's race. But he spoke to the media briefly Friday about Ward's death.

"This has been one of the toughest tragedies I've ever had to deal with, both professionally and personally," Stewart said. "And this is something that will definitely affect my life forever."

Do you think Tony Stewart shouldf have been allowed to race again so soon after his accident? Do you think that he was distracted? Tell in the comments section below.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes he should have its not like it was the day after the accident and he wasn't distracted about the death. Also a blown tire can happen to anyone at anytime when going that speed.

• I agree with you totally. He took time off of racing, which is his job, and recovered from the accident. Coming from my point of view as a driver, you don't really think about anything other than focusing on driving and staying focused. You don't worry about what your doing later and what you did yesterday for lunch. 

• they should have made him wait a year to be sure that he was mentally and emotionally ready before he could be able to race again.

• I don't think he should have been able to race so soon after, and I also think we was distracted.

• I think he was a little distracted and probably a little worried but there isn't really a reason why he would have had to wait longer.

• No he should be able to race whenever he wants it wasn't his fault for drilling the guy that was standing in the middle of the track and yes im sure it was a destraciton for him. 

• I think that he shouldn't of been able to race and yes I think that he was distracted. 

• Yes, I think that it is okay that he raced again. It's not like he tried to hit the man. Accidents do happen and sometimes we just have forgive one another for our actions. I don't think that he was distracted when he hit them. You are driving very fast and you don't have a lot of time to change your way of doing something. Also, it is pretty dark on the racetrack so he probably didn't see him too well until it was too late.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker