Abortion Pill Legalization

Abortions are the #1 controversial topic to exist! What is an abortion? An abortion by definition is “the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy”, in other words, ending an infant's life in the tummy before they are born. According to guttmacher.com, abortion pills accounted for over 54% of all abortions in the United States. This pill is now being taken to court. Should this pill stay legal for all states, or shall the banning of this pill begin now?

Why do people execute abortions? There are many reasons that women state why they want or have an abortion. Such as, “too early”, “not ready”, “don’t want a baby”, “can’t care for one”, ect. 

How does the pill work? Well actually, this is a two-step process. First, the woman will take a pill called Mifepristone. This pill will initially stop the pregnancy from progressing. This may cause a woman to feel nauseous or start bleeding from their uterus. The second pill is called Misopristol. Up to 48 hours after taking Mifepristone, the female will take Misoprostol. This pill will “in simple terms” kill the sex cells that are creating the baby. This pill will cause extreme cramps for the female as well as a lot of blood rushing out from the uterus. This process is very similar to a miscarriage when taking these pills. Still confused? Think of it as a forced miscarriage. 

Why is the potential banning of the abortion pill such a big deal? Mifepristone (the abortion pill) is responsible for over half of all abortions. Because of how big this pill is to abortions, this is huge for both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats are usually for “pro-choice”, whereas Republicans are usually for “pro-life”. What does that mean? If you are pro-choice, that means that you believe that women should be able to make their own decisions on what they do with their body and want abortions to be legal. If you are pro-life, you believe that abortions should be illegal and vote for the banning of this medicine. 

Depending on your political POV, there are many pros and cons to this pill and topic. In my personal religious view, I do not believe in abortions. I think that they should be illegal because I don’t think it is right to end a life, even if it hasn’t even begun. Also meaning, that I think that this pill should be banned by the court. This is a really tough topic to talk about, with many mixed opinions.

*I will try to keep posted on updates with this court case

For right now, the pill will remain legal until further notice.

https://www.guttmacher.org/article/2022/02/medication-abortion-now-accounts-more-half-all-us-abortions 

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/abortion/the-abortion-pill/how-does-the-abortion-pill-work 

Do you think that the abortion pill should be legal or illegal? Why?

Would it be easier for the female to just have the baby and put it up for adoption?

Do you think that the government will end up banning this pill?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the pill should be legal. Women can get pregnant through a few different scenarios. The worst ones are obviously through rape but theres also many different kinds of rape.  The point is that a women who CANNOT care for a baby or maybe she's high risk for dying during birth or maybe she just doesn't want it at all. Whatever her reason is I think its no ones business but her own. If a women wants to take the pill and go through that pain obvioulsy it's needed. No one would put their body through that pain unless it's needed. If a women doesn't want to give birth, she will find a way to get an abortion whether it's legal or illegal. 

• I understand that, but just think that any type of abortion, the woman is ending a life. A life that doesn't get to start. An infant that will never get to walk on earth all because of a decision a person made. 

• I respectfully dont think you understand. If you did, you would see that you make so sense by saying "A life that doesn't get to start". Its not a life if it didnt get to start. Thats not alive. Its not an infant at that point. its barely an ebryo. The person that makes the (well thought out) decision has every right to make a decision about HER OWN body. 

• I understand why you think this, but is it her own body? I think that it is the babies body or "embryo", and I don't think that the mother should be able to decide whether that "embryo" lives or not.

• I think considering that women has to carry and take care of that baby for the rest of her life it should definitely be her decision. Think of it like this, someone who cant even afford their own meals is suddenly thinking of adopting a dog. Would you try to convince her not to get the dog? I would say most people would. If you can barely feed yourself how are they going to feed another mouth? But now its a poor women who got raped. She cant afford that. She doesn't want to put her baby up for adoption because she was in the system herself and she ended up poor and on the streets. She doesn't want that life for another person. When women think about this decision they arent only thinking about themselves, its also what life they would be setting up for the child. 

• Well in that situation, I think that there is a good chance that her family would help. I think that a family would support their daughter through all of her struggles. I think that they would invite her into their home and help take care of the baby. At least for me, I know my family wouldn't let me live on the streets.

• Okay let's take a second and read what I actually said, "in the system herself and ended up poor and on the streets". Not everyone has a family let alone a supportive one. I'm glad you do, but most people on the streets and are put in that situation don't. This is one of many situations why abortion, as well as the pill,  should stay legal for the people who need it. 

• Well, first of all, I must say, for all of these things to happen, would be highly unlikely and unlucky. I still think that at the end of the day, killing a baby should not be the result. Though it could be very hard for the individual to carry that baby for 9 months, it would be the right thing to do. Then if they can't take care for it, they could put it up for adoption.

• I think its not as unlikely as it sounds. Many people dont have a strong support system behind them. Theres many single mothers on the streets. It sounds unlikely but its actually pretty common. Like I said, theres so many different situations and the one I mentioned is just one of them. Also, I stated before most people dont want that life for their child. Its not garenteed your kid will go to a nice home and live happy. Some kids even die in the systems. Like I said, women think about the children and sometimes it would just be better to get an abortion than bring them into the world knowing they would struggle with the living conditions and life it would be given. 

• I could not agree more.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker