A Historical Lobotomy, Gone Wrong

Rosemary Kennedy was the sister of former President John F. Kennedy, and her family noticed something was off while she was growing up. During her toddler phase, she was behind her brothers in daily activities like crawling and speaking. She also was known to have multiple behavioral issues and had many temper tantrums. When she started going to school, it was obvious that she had some sort of intellectual difficulty that made her slower than the other students. By age 18, she was only at the intellectual level of a fourth grader while her brothers were excelling in all their classes. Even though she struggled with learning and performing daily tasks, she was still seen participating with her family and having a regular routine. 

It all went downhill for Rosemary in November 1941 when her father, Joseph Kennedy, scheduled a lobotomy to be performed on her. For background information, a lobotomy is a surgical procedure done to people with medical illnesses to provide relief to the patient. Keep in mind, during this time period, these types of procedures were not common and they were still being worked on. Even though Mr. Kennedy knew about these risks, he still decided to go ahead with the procedure, without telling his wife. Unfortunately, the surgery was a failure and it ruined Rosemary’s ability to talk and walk. In addition to being mentally disabled, she was now physically disabled. The Kennedys decided to send her to Saint Coletta’s, a Catholic facility for the mentally disabled, and she was kept there for almost six decades. 

During Rosemary’s first few years at Saint Coletta’s, she was kept away from her family to work on her treatments. But later, she was reunited with her family and developed a strong bond between her and her sister, Eunice. Eunice grew aware of her sister’s situation and decided to make a change about it. She started doing research and projects on intellectual and developmental disabilities. In the summer of 1962, Eunice started a backyard summer camp for children and adults with disabilities. This very summer camp would later turn into a global competition called Special Olympics. In addition to Eunice’s work, Rosemary’s other family members were doing their part to help people with disabilities. Her sister founded Very Special Arts, an art program designed for those with disabilities. Her brother, John F. Kennedy, helped many care programs and signed major legislations in regards to those with intellectual disabilities. 

I think that Rosemary’s story helped thousands of people all around the world to become their best selves and live their best lives. I think that it was very wrong for her father to schedule such a complicated surgery for Rosemary without all of her family knowing about it. I understand that they did many different things to help her like special treatment and programs, but doing such a risky surgery without much experience was a disaster waiting to happen. Even though Rosemary had a difficult time, she still was able to live until the age 86 and she had a very fulfilling life. Rosemary is recognized all over the world and she has changed many lives during and after her lifetime. 

Do you think Rosemary should or shouldn’t have gotten the procedure?

Was it right that her father made her get the surgery? 

If you were in Rosemary’s place, would you want the surgery even if there was a high risk? 

Rosemary Kennedy - The Eldest Kennedy Daughter 

The Kennedy Family, Rosemary Kennedy 

Rosemary Kennedy's Lobotomy.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also think that it was not worth putting that much of a risk on her when there was only a small chance that she could get better. 

• I don't think she should of gotten the procedure because it wouldn't help much anyways. Her father shouldn't of forced her to do it because she should of made the desicion herself. I wouldn't want this surgery because I don't want to ever have a surgery

• If that hadn't happened to her, she wouldn't have achieved all of this, but even so, it was very cruel that it ended like this, also the fact that her dad forced her was very bad. I wouldn't risk it, I wouldn't know if it would turn out well or not.

• I agree that none of these good things could have happened without Rosemary telling her story and making it a good situation. 

• I don't think that she should've gotten the procedure mainly because they didn't know much about so it would most likely be bad anyways. No, I don't think that it was right that her father made her get the surgery. I wouldn't because there is always a risk during any surgery and since the lobotomy sometimes tends to go bad anyway.

• I also would be cautious to have that kind of a procedure because of how risky it is. 

• I don't think that it was a very good idea for her to get the suggery because of the hight risks that are involved with the sugery and all of the different things that could go wrond during the surgery. I don't think that her father should have made her have it however I think it is important for the family to all give their oppionions on the matter.

• I don't think that lodotomys are very effective and I also don't think that he should have gotten the surgery because I feel like her father couldn't force her to get the sugery because I don't think that she wanted one. I would if I was really bad and about to die already.

• I do not think that lobotomys are ethical or effective. I don't think that Rosemary should've gotten the procedure, instead I believe she should've seeked help and therapy for her behaviorial struggles. It's possible Rosemary's father felt ashamed or at a loss with Rosemary's condition and was looking for a way to help that would be quick and efficient. 

• i don't think she should of gotten the surgary due to the risks being so high. it was not right for her father to make her do the surgary as she should of had the choice. If i was in her place i would not of gotten surgary due to all the risks.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker