A 911 call with NO answer?

Usually when someone calls 9-1-1 they expect someone to answer. Especially because it probably is an emergency. Although she had an emergency, this was not the case for Crystal Flynn. Crystal Flynn fell in her kitchen and was yelling for help until the neighbors heard her. She was barely able to move and could barely breathe. Her neighbor came over to help her and called 911 from Flynn’s kitchen. Her neighbor called 9-1-1 twice and no answer. That's when she called from her landline and the dispatcher answered. It took 17 minutes for an ambulance to show up.

The Reasoning behind all of this: 

The dispatch center was very busy that day and they had to categorize the situations that happened that day.

Level One: life threatening

Level Two: Medical Professionals who called that needed patients delivered IMMEDIATELY

Level Three: Serious but not life threatening

Crystal's situation was classified as a Level Three situation and the Ambulance they were going to send for her was at the scene of an accident.

Questions: 

Do you think they are Prioritizing the type of situations correctly?

How would you feel if you were Crystal and in that situation?

My Thoughts:

If I were Crystal I would be upset. When you call 911 you would assume for someone to answer and respond with help immediately. I can see how her situation wasn't as serious as others, but they still should've been there. Maybe this town needs more ambulances I don't know. I think the way that they handle these situations is quite reasonable yet if someone calls 911 they are calling because they need help and it's an emergency. They should always help as soon as they can. That is their job.

Wanna read more?

Click HERE for the link!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Kenzie!

• I think that people should always be there for everyone else. I would be very upset. 911 is made to answer and respond to whatever the situation is going on. If 911 isn't going to help no matter the measure than what is its purpose. 

• I agree. There is no purpose of having 9-11 if they aren't going to respond on time 

• I think that is horrible People should always be there for the Community or city and the purpose for 911 is to be there for all emergencys and if they dont do there job something should be done so that they dont have those issues.

• I agree. She called because there was an emergency. She could've had her neighbor drive her to the hospital faster then they came. 

• I think they should be able to have someone respond to the emergency immediately no matter what it is. Obviously if they called 911, they need immediate help and people should not have to wait for that. I would be upset if I was Crystal. I would feel like I wasn't as important and I would be sad. All calls should be prioritized right away no matter what. 

• Exactly. they should've asked surrounding counties for help or they need to get more vehicles and staff 

• I think they have the levels correct, but the situations are wrong. Crystal seems like an elderly women and if she had been laying there for a while then she could have been seriously injured and the fact the ambulance took 17 minutes is ridiculous. If I was Crystal I would have felt helpless and scared in that situation. 

• I agree. She called 9-11 because she needed immediate help. They should've sent someone right away 

• If I was Crystal in that situation I would feel sad and hopeless. Because when you call 911 you expect them to be there in a very short time not 17 minutes. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker