9/11 Harlan Teachers Accounts of the Day

We've all heard of 9/11, but none of us students were alive back then. On that day in 2001 the United States was attacked. I wanted to ask some teachers at Harlan what they were doing on that day? How did they feel because of the attack on the United States? Finally, I asked, how did it affect their day in 2001?

Mrs. Hamilton was in fourth grade when the 9/11 attack happened. She remembers getting to school and having one of her classmates tell her what was going on. In her fourth grade brain she didn't really understand what had happened. From her account of that day, her teacher told the class that our country had been attacked. The rest of the school day all they talked about was the plane crashes.

Mr. Boysen was an 8th grader, he was in his first hour when he found out about the attacks. This was his history class, and he remembers The teacher turning the TV on so they could see the attacks on the Twin Towers. He said, “It was a little scary being a middle schooler and not knowing what was happening.” He went on to talk about how it was amazing to see how the United States came together after such a sad day.

Mr. Bruns was teaching that day, and said he started his day off by opening CNN. When he first read about it, he believed that it had been an accident. A little later in the day the old librarian Mrs. Nelson told him to come down to the library with her to watch what was happening. It was there that he watched the second plane hit the other Twin Tower. As many Americans watched in horror, Mr Bruns had a personal connection to 9/11. His brother was working in Washington DC that day, although his brother was not in the Pentagon or one of the twin towers, he was still scared for his brother's life. He didn't hear from him until the very next day.

For me personally, as we've watched videos and interviews from the people who experienced that day in school on the anniversary of 9/11. I have watched in horror as our country was attacked. But for me, I like to look at the positive that came out of this awful day. Looking at all the videos of Americans coming together and sacrificing themselves and their time for one another shows what greatness can come out of such sadness.

How do you feel watching videos of the 9/11 attacks?

Have you ever asked your parents what they were doing on 9/11?

How do you think Americans came together during 9/11? 

Thank you to Mrs. Hamilton, Mr. Boysen, and Mr. Bruns for letting me ask you these questions. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Love this origianal story! Super job Emercyn!

• I think that watching videos about 9/11 and hearing peoples stories is very beneficial for us to gain perspective on what people experienced. I have asked my parents about it, and they can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing. I think that America came together during 9/11 as they were risking their lives to help those in need. 

• I believe the 9/11 videos that are available are very informative, but still make me sad when I watch them. I've talked to my parents about their 9/11 and I learned even more through them about the sad day. Even though it was a sad time my parents told me how America came together and how the country got stronger. Americans decided to support and help each other in a time of need, which is amazing.

• I think the 9/11 attack videos are very informative and very inspiring too. They can be sad and scary at times, but through it all, there is a powerful message. The way America came together during this hard time is inspiring is so many ways. On 9/11 America came together through sadness and hope. Everyone knew someone who had lost their life in this terrible event. However, others put their lives on the line to save lives, not even thinking about their own. 

• \I always found the 9/11 videos to be pretty fascinating, I think they provide a powerful message and help show the fear that Americans faced that day. My parents have told me what they were doing when 9/11 occurred and how they felt about it.

• The videos that we watch in school do provide a powerful message. Like you said there was a lot of fear in Americans that day and because of that fear we came together and we were better because of it. Most people have said their parents remeber everything from that day.

• I feel like watching the 9 / 11 attacks are very benifical to watch. Yes, some people may not enjoy the more graphic parts but I feel like we should really grasp the consept of the attack and other major U.S. events. I have ask my parents where and what they were doing on 9/11 but I can not remeber exactly what it was. I think it showed that people are stronger together and they knew that at the time.

• The videos can be very benficial to watch, like you said they may be graphic at parts. But because none of us students were alive back when the attacks happen we need to watch videos and interviews to help us understand what people on 9/11/2001 went through.

• When I watch videos of the 9/11 attacks I feel that the attacks shouldn't have happened. I also feel bad for the families that lost someone during the attacks. I asked my mom where she was during the attack she said that she was in history class and that she watched it happen.

• The attacks really shouldn't have happened, but because it did we can look at history and not let it repeat itself. As Americans we did things that could help us moving forward, such as making our security at airports better to help keep us safe.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker