4 Day School Week

Would you rather have longer days but less days, or shorter days with more days? That’s the question that many schools have been asking themselves at the start of this school year. One school in Independence Missouri starts their school weeks on tuesdays. But they aren’t alone in this 4 day school week, lots of schools have started doing a 4 day school week instead of 5 days. But it does come at a price. These schools are doing longer school days as opposed to an 8 hour school day with a 5 day school week.

There are definitely some benefits of a 4 day school week. Think about it, your school week is shorter. This means that you have one day less of homework, of classes, of school overall. And if you do have homework, this gives you an extra day to do it without having the extra stress of doing it during the school day. This also benefits the teachers, it can be a selling point for teachers who are on the fence about going to teach somewhere. And in a world where we are currently in a teacher shortage, schools need teachers. So why not help the teachers and the students by going to a 4 day school week.

Now we already know what a 5 day school week looks like, 7 hour days of 5 days. But what are some benefits of a 5 day school week? Some studies have shown that after having a 4 day school week for a couple of years, some students have had problems with their progress in learning. Versus students who have maintained a 5 day school week have kept up with their learning progress. Doing this can also affect the elementary students in the school. By having a 4 day school week the elementary student’s sleep schedules can get messed up. And by doing this, they can be tired during the 4 days they are in school. But when asking the parents they overwhelmingly said they preferred the 4 day school week. So… Which would you rather have??

I would rather do a 5 day school week with shorter days. By doing a 4 day week kids aren’t getting as much learning out of it. And why would we go to school not to learn. If we’re going to spend years of our lives doing something I would rather it be productive. Another reason I would rather do a 5 day school week is it keeps it consistent. I like to have a schedule and stick to that. And by having a 4 day school week half of our time would be doing things that could hurt the 4 days we are in school.

Which would you want, 4 day school weeks or 5 days?

Would you rather have Mondays or Fridays off if Harlan went to a 4 day school week?

What would you do on your day off if you had a 4 day school week?

Sources

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/school-districts-4-day-week-teachers-parents/

https://www.edweek.org/leadership/4-day-school-weeks-new-research-examines-the-benefits-and-drawbacks/2021/10

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think a four day week would be nice for some people. A four day school week would nice for gettig a full day of working in or anything else you need to do.  I think a five day week for school is the right amount of time to get everything done.  Im not saying a four day week wouldn't be nice.

• I would want the 5 days of school because I like knowing that I have something do to. I would rather have Mondays off because most kids are not ready for school to start and they would have more time to prepare. If I had a day off I would do sleep and hag with my friends. 

• I would prefer to have 5 days of school a week instead of 4 days a week. This is because I think schools days have the right amount of time, instead of making them longer. I think that a two day weekend is a long enough time for a break, while still not forgetting everything learned the past week. 

• I forgot to answer the other questions, but I would want Monday off, and on my day off it would be easier for my family to travel since I would miss less school. 

• I would rather have a four day school week with mondays off. If we had school from 7:00AM to 3:45PM we would still have 35 hours each week. I would not mind this because I already have to get up earlier than I would like to, so getting up an hour earlier would not be a big deal. I also think we might get less homework with a four day week because we would have more class time.

• I think I would rather have the 5 day schedule also because we would learn better than if it were a 4 day school schedule. I would rather have Mondays off because then the new "Monday" of the week would be Tuesday.

• I would rather have a 5 day week with 7 hour days. I think this is more effective because 8 hours is a very long time to take in all the information the teachers give you. I also think a 4 day week would be nice because that causes the students to have a 3 day weekend. I still think it would be exhausting being at school for 8 hours then, if you are in sports, going to the sport's practice after.

• I would rather a 5 day school week instead of a 4 day school week because I feel that 8 hours of school for 4 days would definetly feel too long and take up my after school time. Yes, sometimes 4 days does sound nice, but it would be longer hours, so I would rather have 5 days.

• I think that a 4 day shcool week would be better for students since there would have to be less schoolwork to be assigned but studnet wouldnt learn as much. If there were to be  four day school weeks I would rather have mondays off.

• Id want a 4 doy school week, cause since the days are longer you get more time to do homework and potentially not have any. Id want Friday off. If i had a the extra day id work or play games.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker