2,000 Year Old Gold Coin Discovered

On March 14th, a hiker Laurie Rimon was going on a normal hike in Israel's Galilee Region. While walking along, she discovered a small shining object. After picking it up, she saw small gold coin with the profile of a man on it. After returning home from her hike, Laurie turned in the coin to Israel's Antiquities Authority. After research, the group found that the coin was over 2,000 years old. The coin, from the year 107 AD, bears the profile of Augustus, a Roman emperor. The coin was minted as a part of a series of coins that honors Roman emperors. This coin is only the 2nd of its kind to be found, the other in London's British Museum 

If you were to have discovered this coin, would you turn it in or keep it? Why?

Why do you think that these coins were found at completely different places?

If I were to come across this coin, as cool of an artifact it may be, I would still want to know what it is and would probably turn it in to the authorities. I think that both of the coins were found in completely different places because the Roman empire took over most of Europe and parts of the middle East and Asia.

Find the full story here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job!

• I would probably donate it to a museum because it seems to be like a very rare and interesting part of history. I think they were found in different places because the Roman Empire was huge and I'm sure people from many different places had these coins.

• I would try to found out how much it is worth and if it is worth nothing then I would turn it in but if it was worth a lot I would keep it. I think that they were found in totally different places because maybe this man was traveling around the world and then maybe dropped them but he didn't even notice that he did because it was most likely roman territory at the time.

• Would you eventually want to sell it? I completely agree!

• I would hold on to it and sell it if i discovered it. There are many reasons it was found where it was. This was most likely roman territory in its time. 

•  Why would you hold on to the coin? 

• It depends if I knew about coins or not because if I knew it was the second one I would possibly sell it to a coin collector to get money out of it. They can get around. Someone could have lost it a long time ago and it's just now showing up. 

• I would keep it and do research because you could sell it now or later when it could be worth more. I would not return it because you may not get anything out of it even if it is rare and deserves a reward. Because they hid them around the world or the people who originally had them could be from different places or traveled. 

• Can you describe what you mean by hiding them?

• I would want to know how much the coin was worth first. If it was worth a lot I would turn it in to get money, if it was I would keep it because it would be cool to have. Possibly because they were used as currency is a wide spread area so people had them every where.  

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker