Should Baseball Players be Steroid Tested?

The issue of whether baseball players should be steroid tested is a hotly debated topic that touches on fairness, health, and the sport’s integrity. Steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs can give players a significant edge in strength, speed, and recovery. This raises serious ethical questions about competition. Testing for steroids helps ensure that games are won based on natural talent and hard work, rather than on artificial enhancements. By enforcing strict testing policies, baseball can maintain a level playing field and uphold its reputation in the eyes of fans.

Health concerns are another crucial part of this discussion. Many athletes might feel pressured to use steroids to improve their performance, but the health risks associated with these substances are dangerous. Steroid use has been linked to various serious health issues, including hormonal imbalances, liver damage, and increased risks of heart disease. By using extremely accurate testing, Major League Baseball not only protects its players but also promotes a culture of health and safety. This approach reflects a commitment to the well-being of the athletes, showing that the league values long-term health over short-term gains.

Finally, enforcing steroid testing can enhance the overall integrity of baseball. The sport has faced significant challenges due to past scandals involving steroid use, which have damaged its credibility. By actively testing players and enforcing consequences for those who fail, MLB can show that it takes fairness seriously. This transparency fosters a deeper connection between players and fans, who expect athletes to compete on equal terms. In the end, regular steroid testing is vital for safeguarding both the health of players and the integrity of baseball as a beloved American tradition.

Do you think they should be tested for steroids?

Do you think steroids are a bad thing?

Do you think some of the players that used steroids such as, barry bonds, or sammy sosa, would have been as good without them?

espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33238595/major-league-baseball-stops-testing-players-steroids-nearly-20-years-report-says

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_baseball

baseball-reference.com/blog/steroids-in-sports.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I believe baseball players should be tested for steroids. I think this because if we didn't test them then they could cheat to win the game which would be unfair. It also has a lot of health risks and it would stop people from risking all that they've built up to and just throwing it away. Steroids are not good for your body, they are only good for improving performance usually in a sport. 

• Yes, I think baseball players should be tested for steroids. I think this because most of all the other sports are required too, steroids maybe seem to benefit your body but in reality are bad for you, and they make the game unfair. I think most players that do or did use them would not be as good as they are or were without them because they make your body much different then it could be naturally. 

• I think players should be tested. For one, if some players take steriods, then play, it will be unfair to the other players and teams who have a ban on them. Also if everyone is taking them and a couple don't, the couple players who don't will be viewed as weak and should stop playing all together. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker