Newborn Gabriella Coane was born on August 20th in Houston, Texas. Not even a few days later hurricane Harvey hit, bringing massive amounts of rain and strong winds. Luckily the Coane’s lived in a high-rise building, so it was not damaged, but they saw destruction all around them. The couple then decided to go to their second home in Miami because they were worried about water supply and the chemical fires. A normal 18 hour drive took the Coanes over three days because of detours and stops for the baby. As the couple drove toward Florida, hurricane Irma gained strength, but despite warnings from their friends they continued to their house. They arrived on Tuesday, but by Friday with Irma threatening they decided to evacuate for a second time. Eleven hours after they left Miami, the Coane’s finally found a vacant hotel in Alabama. They decided to head back to their home in Texas after they learnt that their Miami house lost water and power after Irma. The couple completed a 3,000 mile journey for the safety of their daughter.

Go here for the whole story.

1. If you were in the Coane’s position what would you do?

I would do exactly what the Coane’s did, but instead of going to Miami despite warnings I would’ve went to the nearest hotel and stayed out the storm in safety

1. What treasured item would you bring on this road trip?

I would take my banners from Shorthorn Junior Nationals because it was a once in a lifetime experience and I want to have something to remember it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall! Just be sure to reply more frequently to student comments next time.

• If I was in their position, I would have left my home in Texas. I don't think would go to Florida with all the warnings on the news and from other friends. Besides making sure I had my family with me, I would make sure to have my phone and maybe photograph albums from past years. I like to have pictures from the past so I can have the memories forever.

• I would have listened to the warnings and would have went inland to stay in a hotel. For the road trip I wouldn't worry about bringing any items except for money to get a hotel and food until I could go back to my house.

• I would have gotten as far away from the storms as possible. If people were warning them, why would anyone go towards the storm. The only way to avoid a hurricane is to get the heck inland and away from the coast. Not to mention they have a baby with them so it would be an even bigger struggle trying to get to their house in Miami with all of the closed roads and streets.

• I would do whatever is necessary for my child. I would try to keep them safe and away from danger, just as the Coane's tried to do. I probably wouldn't be too focused on bringing an item during something like this. I would just want to have my family, my pets, Netflix (haha), and some money to help us get by.

• I would have done something like the Coane's did and I would have went to another house or hotel and got out of the storm. I also would have talking whatever I thought was close to me. 

• I probably would have done the same thing, but instead of going to Miami, I would have went north and just found a hotel somewhere away from all the hurricane damage. I would probably take my phone and 2k.

• If I were in the Coane's position, I would have probably done the same thing that she had done but instead of staying in Texas when the hurricane hit, I would have tried to leave the coast. Since it's such a hassle getting away from the coast as quickly as possible, I would've just made sure my family and pets with me.  

• I would do of done some research to find out what the best thing to do is but I think I would probably end up doing the same thing if It meant my child was safe. I would definitely bring my dogs because they are my family but my treasured item I would bring would probably be my blanket from when I was a baby because it was from my great grandma and grandpa who mean a lot to me and they are no longer alive so it means a lot to me.

• I would do what thy did, just not in that order because I would not go to the house in Florida  because they knew that the hurricane would be coming. I would bring my money and my family for sure. And proof that I lived in the U.S. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker