Newborn Gabriella Coane was born on August 20th in Houston, Texas. Not even a few days later hurricane Harvey hit, bringing massive amounts of rain and strong winds. Luckily the Coane’s lived in a high-rise building, so it was not damaged, but they saw destruction all around them. The couple then decided to go to their second home in Miami because they were worried about water supply and the chemical fires. A normal 18 hour drive took the Coanes over three days because of detours and stops for the baby. As the couple drove toward Florida, hurricane Irma gained strength, but despite warnings from their friends they continued to their house. They arrived on Tuesday, but by Friday with Irma threatening they decided to evacuate for a second time. Eleven hours after they left Miami, the Coane’s finally found a vacant hotel in Alabama. They decided to head back to their home in Texas after they learnt that their Miami house lost water and power after Irma. The couple completed a 3,000 mile journey for the safety of their daughter.

Go here for the whole story.

1. If you were in the Coane’s position what would you do?

I would do exactly what the Coane’s did, but instead of going to Miami despite warnings I would’ve went to the nearest hotel and stayed out the storm in safety

1. What treasured item would you bring on this road trip?

I would take my banners from Shorthorn Junior Nationals because it was a once in a lifetime experience and I want to have something to remember it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• If I were the Coane's I would have gone to the nearest, safest place possible. I don't think I would have traveled as far as Florida, because there were already warnings and its a long drive. I would bring irreplaceable pictures of family and friends, some clothes, and my phone. 

• I would have gone to the closest safe place that I could get to. I don't understand why they went to Florida, because there were already warnings. One treasured thing that I would take with me is pictures. This is because the pictures bring back special memories. I would probably take my phone too so that I could communicate with other people that are close to me.

• I agree with this, but I think they went to their Miami house to check on things and make sure it was safe before hurricane Irma hit. They also might of had no where else to go and probably didn't want to have many expenses. 

• i would have done what one of my sisters friends did and go north to Iowa or Kansas rather than stay on the coast. i would take my football jerseys because the game means so much to me and has helped me through tough times in my life. 

• I really don't know what i would do. I would probably evacuated and hoped for the best. I would probably bring my harry potter series. 

• I would have done anything to get my daughter out of harms way so I understand why they made the trip. But they should've went somewhere more towards like Ohio or something, they were very close to another hurricane because they didn't listen to any warnings. But when a loved one is in danger you will do anything you can to protect them.

• I would have wen to a safe place and waited the storm out. I would bring pictures because they are very good memories that I would not want to lose. I would also take my phone because you need to have it to communicate to other family in different parts of the world.

• I would have went to the nearest safe place thing like a hotel to stay out of the storm. I would bring my irreplaceable family pictures, some clothes, my phone, and obviously my family.  

• 1. Find a place for my newborn immediately, trying as hard as I can to keep them protected. Either moving around or finding family. 2. My Dog's/my passed dog's urn.

• If I was in that position I would not go near the coast, I would go in land to get away from the water. If i were to pack up right now I would have this bag that my parents made originally for tornadoes. It has a flashlight, bright orange whistle, money, a marker, it really has anything but clothes in it. My parents, especially my dad, are very concerned with safety and so I think that this bag would finally be used. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker