Myanmar Clashes Between Government and People

Myanmar, a mainly Buddhist country, has been having disputes between the people of the country and the overruling government. The fighting is assumed to be caused partly by differences in religion because six confirmed Hindu civilians have been killed. The number of total people killed has been confirmed at 96, but it is suspected that many more have been attacked or killed. The government claims to be attempting to restore peace, but is doing an iffy job on it. Many bystanders of the attacks have witnessed gunshots being fired first from government officials and not only from insurgent attackers. ARSA has also accused Myanmar's army of using civilians as human shields.

Have you heard of the problems in Myanmar? Do you believe it is a concern to the United States?

Can the government of Myanmar be trusted?

Before I read this article, I did not know the full story behind the attacks. I wasn't even aware of the fact that Myanmar is suffering. I don't believe the fighting is a concern of the U.S. at all, though. I also can plainly see that the citizens of Myanmar are scared of their government and that is proof enough to me to know that the government is to blame for the violence.

Violence in Myanmar

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree! Our government should intervene, but will they? Most likely not. I sure hope we can accept refugees and help civilians if needed.

• When first reading the article I didn't know a single bit about the problems going on. I think it should be as it would look good on the USA to help out and make peace with other country leaders.

• 1. Until now, I had not heard of the issues in Myanmar. I think it could be a concern to the U.S as it seems that Trump would most likely try and do something. I think it could affect the people in our country that are of those religions, as they might try to get involved. It could bring some problems in the country. 2. Honestly I believe that it's not the government in whole that can't be trusted, just certain people in the government. It depends on if they believe what's going down is right or wrong and what they choose to do about it. 

• I suppose that could be true, but I don't think our government has anything to do with this. The only thing we could do is take in some innocent refugees. I do see your point, though.

• Before reading this post I wasn't aware of what was going on over in Myanmar. I always think that the U.S. government should have some type of concern on what is going on in other parts of the world. I think this because the people of Myanmar could try to leave and they may try to come to the United States, and we always need to know when that is going to happen. I don't think that the government should be trusted because they should be trying harder to put a stop to all this violence and that is obliviously not happening. 

• I agree completely. Refugees need a safe place to come to, and the United States needs to welcome them with open arms. Their government is ruthless and won't treat the citizens right anytime soon.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker