Man Put to Death in Florida by Experimental Injection

Man Put to Death in Florida by Experimental Injection

Mark James Asay, a white male accused of a racially motivated murder, was put to death by using an untested lethal injection formula. Mark was put to death on Thursday at 6:22 p.m. at the state prison in Starke, Florida. The injection started with an anesthetic called etomidate, which is a short-acting sedative and has never been used for execution in the United States. The execution continued with a paralytic and then a heart-stopping drug that has only been used for execution by mistake. Asay's lawyers contended that the prisoner would feel extreme pain during the execution, which is against the constitutional protection against cruel and unusual punishments. The inmate was actually sentenced to death in 1988 for murdering an African American man, Robert Lee Booker, and Robert McDowell, a white and Hispanic cross dresser. Prosecutors said the killings were racially motivated which seems like a viable conclusion due to his white supremacist tattoos. Asay argued on several different levels but was executed regardless with his last public speech including "I've had all the prison I want, so I want out of prison, through the front door or the back".    

Read the entire story here!

Questions: 

1) In your opinion, do you think that execution is a proper punishment for murder?

2) In question one, if you disagree, do you thing execution is acceptable for any crime? And if agree, if you were on a jury for this man would you say he deserves to be executed for his crimes?

3) If you were on death row, about to be executed, what would be your last meal and why?

My Opinion: 

In my opinion, I think that the situation of the murder takes a big part in whether execution is a proper punishment or not. I believe that execution is purely situational and not acceptable for every crime. Although, for this man, I think he did deserve to be executed. I think he made more excuses for himself than actually accepting his faults and apologizing for what he did. Therefore, he deserved the justice he was served. If I was on death row, I would probably have korean cuisine, velveeta mac n cheese, texas roadhouse dinner rolls, and lemonade/sprite as my last meal (odd together but individually it's perfect).   

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• It depends on the situation. If someone accidentally killed someone else, then lethal injection should not be used. I would say that he doesn't deserve to be killed, because that is too great of a punishment for murder. My last meal, if i were on death row would be pizza from pizza hut, ice cream, and a strawberries and creme frappe from Starbucks, because they're addicting and delicious.

• 1. I agree with Angelina because it depends on the situation. For example if someone was charged with involuntary manslaughter I don't think execution would be the correct punishment for the situation. In this case the murderer deserved to be executed because his intention was to kill people out of racial hate. The method of execution does seem a little harsh, but him being sentenced for life allows him to live off of the government. 2. I don't think execution is acceptable for just any crime, for example theft, DWI or DUI are crimes that should not be punishable by death. If I were on jury I would say he deserves to be executed because he purposely killed the people and they had enough evidence to prove he was the killer. 3. If I were on death row I would want My mom's chicken pot pie, bread sticks from Olive Garden, and Oreo dream extreme cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory, because they are delicious. 

• That was my exact thought process on this. I think he purposely acted and murdered with intention (despite what he said). His hate crimes were enough to get him executes. I think this was a odd way for an execution to be executed but I think there are worse methods that could have been used. I LOVE CHICKEN POT PIE. GREAT CHOICE. THANKS FOR REPLYING.

• 1. I definitely agree with Angelina as not every crime needs to be punished with execution, this man does deserve to be executed. To me it seems like an eye for an eye kind of deal, killing somebody who has killed others. I think that since he murdered people, with evidence that proves he did it, that using the injected drug was enough. Although it seems harsh, he did kill people. 2. If I were on the jury I would say he does deserve it. I think he should've kept his thoughts to himself and not murder. 3. For my last meal I would want shrimp alfredo and breadsticks from Olive Garden, because it is amazing.

• I think that execution is not always the answer to all problems but for murder I do believe that it is the proper punishment. I think that for murderess there has to be enough evidence and actual proof before they execute them. I know that there has been a couple of cases where the "murderer" was not actually the person and they were killed on false accusation. If I was on this jury I would say that execution is the right punishment for this man. He killed to people because of their race, that would be like someone murdering someone because of their taste in music. If I was on death row (I hope I never am) I would want chicken strips, french fries, tacos, a big glass of Dr. Pepper, and a churro. 

• I think that execution is forcing someone to murder a murderer. Think of the executioner, they're also a murderer even if they are doing away with someone who has committed a severe crime such as murder or rape. I do not believe execution is proper for anyone, the murderer or the executioner. I understand that if someone is sentenced to life they will be fed and live off of the government, which I don't agree with but a different, better way hasn't been thought of. My last meal if I was on death row would be an ice cold strawberry lemonade, my mom's spaghetti, Olive Garden bread sticks, and strawberry jello cake. with whipped cream frosting.

• I understand your standpoint and I think many share your opinion. Hopefully eventually the government will come up with a better solution for these types of crimes. Great choice of food for your last meal.

• Lethal execution seems terrible, but if they aren't executed the state pays for everything in their life. People like that are human waste and end up relying on the system for years. I believe that lethal execution should only be used on serious crimes such as rape or murder. Theft, tax fraud, etc shouldn't be rewarded with lethal execution. My last meal would be a bottomless salad or something so I could finesse the system.

• I agree that execution is a proper punishment for murder since they killed someone who was probably innocent. The murder shouldn't get to live their life in jail when they took someone else's life. If I was the victim's parent or relative, I would want the killer to be put to death since they took someone away that I cared about. I would want my last meal to be Orange soda, pepperoni pizza, and for dessert, I would have chocolate ice cream.

• I do and sometimes I don't, not saying all murders are accidental. But the ones where they are very nasty and the murderer had fun doing them I think they should get executed.
    I would say he deserves it Bc killing two people is not an accident
    My last meal would be a big pasta. I just love pasta and would want it to be my last meal.
This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker