Is Homework Beneficial?

The word “homework” dates back to ancient Rome and we are unsure who invented it. Pliny The Younger (a Roman author and administrator) had his followers practice their speeches at home. Homework continued as memorization exercises throughout the Middle Ages and Enlightenment by monks and scholars. In the 19th century, German students of the Volksschulenwere given assignments to complete outside of the school day. This concept of homework then quickly spread across Europe and was brought to the United States by Horace Mann. 

Studies have shown that homework has enhanced student achievement in terms of improved grades, test results and the probability to attend college. Research published in the High School Journal indicated that students who spent around 30 to 90 minutes a day on homework scored about 40 points higher on the SAT-Mathematics subtest than other students that spent no time on homework. Homework helps to strengthen classroom learning while also developing good study habits and life skills. Students usually only retain about half of the info that teachers provide in class so homework can help to remember/obtain more knowledge. These assignments can also provide valuable information for teachers to see how well the students know the curriculum. 

Some people think that too much homework can be harmful to our bodies and minds. High achieving highschool students said that too much homework can lead to less sleep, headaches, exhaustion, weight loss, stomach pains and other health related problems. A poll of California high school students showed that 59% of students thought they had too much homework and 82% of respondents said that they were "often or always stressed by homework." Emmy Kang, a mental health counselor, explained, "More than half of students say that homework is their primary source of stress." This shows how much homework can affect someone just through feeling stressed. Too much homework can also lead to students cheating off of each other, 90% of middle school students and 67% of highschool students admit to copying another person's homework. 

Personally, homework is helpful for scoring higher on tests and paying more attention in class. It's not always fun but it helps as a way of studying to remember important info. It may be stressful at moments but without homework people could choose not to always pay attention in class. 

Do you think homework is beneficial? Why or why not?

Do you think we should have homework? Why or why not?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/homework-pros-cons-procon-org/

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Pliny-the-Younger

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do think that homework is beneficial becasue it gives you an opportunity to apply all the things you learned and make sure you understand it. A class where I feel like it is very beneficial in is math. You learn different equations and get homework that gives you the chance to understand it more.

• Do you think homework is benificial? I do think homework is benificial because if makes the kid more ingaged in school. But there is some downsides like less sleep and headaches and such. I do think home work is benifeficial because it makes you more involves in school but in my opion I do not want homework because they is much better things that I do outside of school that interfears with my homework. It give alot of people stress that is not needed.

• I know what it feels like to have barely any sleep most nights because of homework. It takes so much time away from my daily life and things I want to enjoy and spend my time doing. It also causes so much stress which no one wants because stress just hurts our bodies.

• I think homework should definetly be used. Even if some people can't stand it, its extremely beneficial. If we didn't have homework grades, tests and quizzes would be a lot harder. Even if we do have it though, making homework a daily thing to pile up on students won't benefit them much considering they can't obtain information if they're rushing through it or just cheating on it. 

• I think homework is beneficial, all though most people dont like it and say theres no point it could help you to earn points to up your grade and help you understand the unit more. I think we should have homework but keep it at and extance level, all though its good to have it, it dose get annoying when we have piles of it due the next day. 

• Having homework due the next day on a late night like this reply I'm typing now doesn't always feel like it will help me, but in a way it sort of does. I also agree that homework should be kept at an extent level. We shouldn't have piles of homework everyday, it's just too much work weighing us down. 

• I think homework can be beneficial in a way in my opinion. It can help you focus on a subject at a time and understand it. But we don't need to have it every day.  It can take up alot of our time we could use to work or do sports. I feel having it at least 3 times a week is enough. 

• I think that Homework is beneficial because it makes students study more for test. By making people not do homework there it's not really making kids learning as much because writing out problems and solving them makes you get better in school. Otherwise kids would just forgot everything they teached in school and not learn, so by giving them hoemwork helps. But I do wish teachers wouldn't give out so many homework.

• I agree, homework isn't fun most times but it helps me remember what we learned and it may not be that way for everyone else, we are all different. 

• 1.) Yes and no, homework can Increase your chances of scoring higher on tests by doing the work as practice, but I feel like homework, or work in general, should be done in class.

2.) As I stated in the last question, homework can Increase your chances of scoring higher on tests, but I feel like the work can be done in class. but the work should be more like worksheets rather than verbal lessons that involve listening.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker