Moon and Jupiter Special Event on 2017 Autumn Equinox

September 22, 2017 marks the date where Summer ends and Autumn begins. There are two equinoxes in a year: one marks the start of Spring, and the other Autumn. On equinoxes, day and night are equal length. This fall equinox is special because the moon and Jupiter will become close together and clearly visible on the 22nd and 23rd and they will be best visible shortly after sunset. For those that can't see this event due to cloudy weather, there will be another conjunction of the moon and Saturn on the 25th of September. The star Antares, which in Greek means "rival of Mars", will also be nearby to add to the scene in the sky.

Link to the article here.

1. What are your thoughts on the events that are going to take place? 

2. What season is your favorite? Why?

1) I think that this will be cool thing to see. It's not everyday you see Jupiter in the sky. Sure, it's not as fancy as a solar eclipse, but I'm always interested to see planets and things in space. 

2) I really like Autumn since it's not hot or cold (at least it's supposed to be that way), and the air becomes drier and less humid. The weather also only gets cooler, unlike Spring where it gets hotter. I would rather be cold than hot. I have other reasons than the weather, like the upcoming holidays and being able to wear long sleeves without getting hot. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great job Sam!

• I think that events like that and the space in general are very interesting. I really can't choose one season because every season has something special. I love skiing in winter but I also love going to the sea in the summer and spring and autumn also aren't bad.

• 2 - I really like winter because I love to have snow on the ground and when winter starts it usually means Christmas is coming and that is my favorite Holiday. I think winter is great because it usually brings people together to help others.

• It is very exciting. I think alignments like these are always fascinating and this stuff just makes me smile. I would say summer is my favorite because of my birthday, but I also extremely enjoy winter and spring.

•  I think that we should be thankful we get to experience such things and fall is my favorite because it gets chilly and we get to wear stylish jackets .

• I like sweatshirts and pants more than shorts and T-shirts, so I like Fall. I'm thankful for the cool things we get to see in space like these events and the recent eclipse. I didn't get to see the total eclipse, but it totally got spooky when it was noon but the entire outside was darker than normal.

• I think that this would be cool and would be an amazing sight to see. You don't see Jupiter that close really any other time. I like the fall because it's like the perfect weather and isn't to warm or to cold.

• Jupiter is one of my favorite planets, just because I think it looks awesome with the stripes and it seems like a figure of might and power when I see cool pictures of it.

• This reply was deleted.
    • I really like space, with the planets and stars, but I don't know the constellations and zodiac signs and stuff. The weather in Fall is great as long as it's not cold during marching band performances. 

• I think its cool that we people on earth can experience things like these and really just watch and be grateful that the earth is the way it is. I like fall because of the cute outfits and its not to hot or cold and pumpkin spice lattes. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker