Wind Energy: Does it Really Benefit Us?

Wind energy is used by large wind turbines that catch the wind and convert it into electricity. It is just another form of reusable energy. Some uses of renewable energy are based on how the land is. Though there are many different views of wind energy, there are definite pros and cons.

Advantages of wind energy include free fuel, one of the cleanest forms of energy, advances in technology, doesn’t disrupt farmland operations, and reduces our dependence on fossil fuels.

What are fossil fuels? Fossil fuels are formed naturally in the earth. The main fossil fuels are coal, oil, and natural gas. Burning fossil fuels can lead to carbon dioxide production.

Though it may say it is free fuel, there has to be wind in order for the turbines to move and create energy. There are many turbines out there that lead to a standstill if the sky is flat with no wind. Wind turbines take up space within a field, though people get paid for putting wind turbines on their land, does that money truly add up to lost crop? 

Not only are there advantages, there are disadvantages to wind turbines. Some disadvantages include being dangerous to wildlife, noisy, expensive up front, and being unreliable or unpredictable.

Birds and bats may fly into the blades of the wind turbines. The birds and bats eventually die. Though you may not hear them, you can definitely see how there are ways to annoy anyone. The farmers’ whose land it is on. It still needs a road to get to the turbine in case of an emergency or it needs to be fixed.

Driving on the road, you will see a lot of these wind turbines. I have noticed a few of them look burnt or charcoaled. Somehow, the wind turbines are able to leak some sort of material to somehow catch fire or to just look burnt. 

I believe that some of the wind turbines should be taken down, or we should just get rid of them. You have to have windy days in order to make any energy. There is also a lot of farmland that could be broken down or ran over in order to get to the wind turbines.

Do you think wind energy benefits us?

What are your thoughts on the use of wind turbines?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that wind energy helps humanity is do however we cannot rely on wind completely. I think that the best most clean energy we have at the moment is nuclear energy because its the best bang for our buck.

• I am not sure if it does benefit us but there could probably be advancements made for them to be more useful. I personally love to look out windows and see them on long car or bus rides. I hope that one day the pros will outweigh the cons and there will be much more clean energy and wind turbines.

• I think that wind turbines are a good idea for clean energy, but they have a long way to go to actually become clean. Majority of the larger wind turbines have a diesel engine in them to help them start turning. It also takes a lot of trucking and metal to make them. The parts are also replaced more than you would think, calling for more trucking and metal.

• I don't think wind energy could feasibly be our one source of energy, but I don't think any politician is trying to push only wind energy. The potential for animals to fly into turbines is kind-of null when compared to the impact fossil fuels have on wildlife. I'm sure more birds fly into windows on skyscrapers than wind turbines.

• I don't think it benefits us at all. When you look at the pros and cons, the cons outweigh the pros by a lot. They don't pay for themselves, and when they have reached their life span, they don't break down in landfills for years and years. 

• I think wind energy is a lot better, because it's renewable and doesn't pollute our planet like other energy sources, I think wind energy is actually the best source of energy we could use, and it has gotten more and more popular throughout the years.

• I think that while wind energy isn't the best source of energy, it is better than burning fossil fuels. Better sources might be nuclear (if taken care of properly) or hydropower. Wind turbines are great for somewhat clean energy, but scientists/engineers need to find ways to fix some of their cons.

• I think that wind energy does benfit us because it is a renewable resource. I personally don't think it is the best method, however, it is beneficial in keeping cities out of blackouts. I think windturbines are a great source of energy we should have more of them in the future.

• I think it does benefit us. Its good for us. Also its good for the environment. Overall we should continue usign it in the future. 

• I think wind energy benefits us in the advancement of technology. As for the energy part, yes wind turbines do create energy, but the cost effectiveness of this energy is not there. When these companies take down blades and replace them, the blades are cut apart and put into a landfill in piles. This "clean energy" isn't so clean after all.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker