Why you don't Want Immortality

If you ask someone what superpower they want, I would bet you a lot of money that a lot of people would say immortality. And, don’t get me wrong, it sounds like a great power. But when you take a deeper look into it, you realize it’s not all that it's cracked up to be.

The most prominent thing I discovered when researching was the fact that you wouldn’t be able to lead a happy life with anyone else. You would always outlive them. If you fell in love, you would be forced to watch them through immortal eyes while they grew old and died. Your closest family would die, and over and over again you would be forced to grieve over the family that you have lost. You would have to shut yourself away, in the hopes of never connecting with anyone again because you knew you would lose them. That doesn’t really sound like the life you were thinking of now was it? And, even if you said you would be fine not talking to anyone, humans are naturally social creatures. We need human interaction to survive. Not hearing another person’s voice forever would drive anyone insane. You would be forced to interact with people, knowing that you could never again get attracted to anyone. (Unless you’re some sort of sick psychopath that loves grieving)

The next example will be focusing on the type of immortality where you can’t die at all.

Another horrible downside to immortality would be what would happen to you if you got stuck somewhere. Let’s say you are at the Grand Canyon because why not? You live forever, you might as well do what you want. You are having a great time with no other people around. Suddenly, you fall into a deep hole. You fall so deep down that when you finally reach the bottom you look up at the sky, you can’t see any light. You would be stuck here forever. No way of getting out, no one even would know you were there. You would be stuck for all eternity. It would be incredibly boring. Nothing to entertain you, you couldn’t even die. You would live forever, slowly but surely becoming more and more deranged by the year. And that is how you would live. Forever.

You might be thinking, that won’t ever even happen to me. The odds of that happening are close to zero. But then I would tell you, those odds are only calculated for a normal human life. The youtube channel, “Because Science”, does a good job of explaining this. At exactly 5:19 minutes in, he starts to talk about the odds of everything. As he says, “All the untimely deaths will become timely”(5:24) This means that everything that probably won’t happen to a normal human person, will definitely happen to you somewhere during your infinite lifetime. The odds of a shark attack are 1 in 11.5 million. But every one of those possibilities you are going to play out if you live forever. Infinite time means infinite time for those possibilities to occur. Struck by lightning? Going to happen. Injury from a sneeze? Going to happen.

I for one would want immortality. I think that it would be useful in so many ways. I could do all the things I wanted, I could work at any place I wanted, I could become anything I wanted, and I could watch whatever I wanted. But, I would probably want the type of immortality where you can’t die from old age, but you can die from other things. I wouldn’t want to not be able to die, period.

Questions

Would you like immortality?

If so, why?

What would you do if you were immortal?

Sources

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7huIVy7YY4

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• You are right about the fact that I didn't mention any of the good stuff that will happen, which is a lot of stuff. I also am very interested in immortality. Our minds can litterally not wrap around the possibility of living forever. We are wired to accept death as inevitbale. But concuring it would be a great victory. I would be very interested in seeing what a person would do first when they are granted immortality.

• I think immortality would be annoying after a while, becasue you would always be here and you would watch everything change over and over again and i don't think that its worth all that waiting and stuff.

• I do not think that I would like being immortal. I would get bored and not have much to do. When a person is immortal, they can barely make friends before their friends grow older. It would also be hard to be immortal because you would have to go through the pain of watching everyone in your life die.

• I think that life as an immortal being wouldn't be very boring at all. There are litterally infinite things you could do that a mortal person couldn't. You could travel the world, and see everything Earth has to offer. See as sorts of different animal species and climb the biggest mountains of the world. That doesn't sound very boring to me.

• I would not want to be immortal and live forever because of how miserable it would be. People close to you would pass away and you would be stuck in a continuous loop of watching everyone die. Life would become boring and you would repeat the same thing over and over. 

• I agree with the loved ones part, but I don't think that life would be very boring. The advances in space tech have allowed better space travel, and in the distant furture, we might even be able to travel to the distant parts of our galaxy. If you could live forever, you could travel to every planet in our galaxy. It would be a long time, but time means nothing to the immortal.

• I don't think I would want to live forever. It would get too boring and I would have a hard time choosing what to do everyday. If I was immortal I would probably travel the world and do new things.

• Not knowing what to do everyday is a problem for the mortal. You would have infinite time to do anything you wanted. Can't decide what to do? You can always come back to it next century. Want to climb that mountain? Theres always next decade. I kwow I focused a lot on the negatives of immortality in my passage, but there are a lot of wonderfull things as well.

• I do not think that immortality would be a good thing for people to have. I do not think that immortality would be a good thing for people to have because a person with these abilities would live forever, possibly until the end of time, also the person would see there loved ones die over and over again.

• Yes, I do agree with the fact that people will have to watch their loved ones die, but that is life. We are ment to die and some of us are meant ti live longer than others. If I was granted imortality I would be sad for those who passed away without be but I would be excited for an infinite future.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker