What is happening with malls?

Malls have been a popular hang out place among teens since the 1960's.  That was only four years after Victor Gruen made a model of what a mall would look like and had the first one built. By 1975 shopping malls contributed to 33% of retail businesses' money. By 1992 malls were at their peak of popularity and the malls were contributing to over half of the money retail businesses were making. So when did it all go wrong? Because, malls are starting to shut down because businesses/retailers are not getting the money they need to keep the doors open. It all started to become less popular in 2008 when online shopping websites started to get more popular. So when people started to shop online the businesses inside the malls don't have money the mall tends to try to find other businesses to move in. Since a lot of businesses are switching to online or just going bankrupt the malls do not have the money to keep their doors open. But why is that? It could be the fact that when everyone was in lock down for covid 19 and businesses were making more money online, or it could be that the businesses were drowning in debt trying to keep there doors open.  A lot of businesses switched to online during covid in the hope they might make more money because they don't have to pay the mall to be there and because businesses were on lock down.  

What do you think would help malls to get more people to shop there?

When was the last time you went to a mall?

Do you think malls should stay open and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that it is hard for malls to be what they used to because so many people do online shopping. The only way they could get more people to come would be by getting more businesses into the mall. The last time I went to a mall was a few weeks ago. I think malls should stay open because they seem to be a good attaction for people and they are an easy way to shop.

• I think if there was more up to date type of clothing and stores then people would go there more. Switiching up the place could help aswell and making more malls since theres not very many around. I was at the mall maybe a month ago. I do think malls should stay open because they have lots of good shops and people still like malls.

• I think bringing in a more up-to-date feel to these malls and more options could pull in younger generations to spend their money. I know whenever I go to the mall it's typically really hard for me to find something I would spend my money on, it's also typically more expensive.

• I agree with you because all the malls have the same things and it is more directed for the older generations. I also feel that the malls need to get newer businesses that conect more with the younger generations and not always having the same thing in each one.

• I think online shopping is the reason malls are slowing down big time. I went to the mall about a month ago and I think it is nice to go if you need dress clothes or something that is hard to buy online but I don't necessarilly think we need malls, just single stores instead.

• I think that online shopping causes the amount of people that go to the mall to decrease. Most of the time I order things online, but sometimes  I go to mall. I hope malls continue to stay open because it is a good place to go shopping if you don't feel like ordering online

• I agree I don't think they should completly shut down but they should change some of the businesses because they need to start trying to compete with online businesses. I think malls are a good place to go if you are going to get something quick but if you have time it is nice to get what you want online.

• If I am in the mood for shopping and need a lot of things I will go to the mall, but if i just need a couple of things and I don't have time to go to the mall I will just order it online. I order a lot of things on line and they are hit or miss because you don't necessarily know what you are getting.

• I agree that most businesses are a hit and miss expecially when you are shopping online. When you are shopping online the stuff could not fit, be the wrong texture, look completly different, or just made horribly. I feel like getting certian things in store is better than getting them online.

• I don't normally go to the mall often. I prefer online shopping because it's more convenient for me and that is how a lot of people feel. I think malls are good because they make jobs and they should stay open for people that prefer them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker