What is happening with malls?

Malls have been a popular hang out place among teens since the 1960's.  That was only four years after Victor Gruen made a model of what a mall would look like and had the first one built. By 1975 shopping malls contributed to 33% of retail businesses' money. By 1992 malls were at their peak of popularity and the malls were contributing to over half of the money retail businesses were making. So when did it all go wrong? Because, malls are starting to shut down because businesses/retailers are not getting the money they need to keep the doors open. It all started to become less popular in 2008 when online shopping websites started to get more popular. So when people started to shop online the businesses inside the malls don't have money the mall tends to try to find other businesses to move in. Since a lot of businesses are switching to online or just going bankrupt the malls do not have the money to keep their doors open. But why is that? It could be the fact that when everyone was in lock down for covid 19 and businesses were making more money online, or it could be that the businesses were drowning in debt trying to keep there doors open.  A lot of businesses switched to online during covid in the hope they might make more money because they don't have to pay the mall to be there and because businesses were on lock down.  

What do you think would help malls to get more people to shop there?

When was the last time you went to a mall?

Do you think malls should stay open and why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree I think that malls make a lot of jobs for people and should stay open for that, but if they are not going to have different businesses that people would want to shop at they could close some of the businesses and put something else there instead.

• I usually don't go to malls that often because I don't like shopping very much. I can see that more people prefer online shopping because it is easier and more convenient for some people. I'm not really sure what you could do to get more to go to the mall again. Maybe you can add more/better stores and/or "attractions".

• I agree I feel like they should bring something else in the mall to attract more people. I also feel that they could add better stores and it would bring more business in. I also feel like online shopping tends to be more convenient.

• I go to the mall quite often, it's nice to be able to try things on and see what they have in store without worrying if the clothes are going to be bad quality or the wrong size when they show up at your house. I think malls should definitely stay open because I have a feeling that online stores are going to end up failing because people don't like the clothes they are receiving or have problems with clothes not even showing up. Yes, shopping online can be easier at some points, because you don't have to drive to a mall near you, but sometimes things don't show up before you need them, or they are the wrong size. I feel like if "popular" influencers post more about shopping in malls, they would come a lot more popular because that's how it works for everything else.

• In my opion today's society, is more of online shopping. Not many people drive to the city and go to the mall, they can shop right at home and get it delived a couple days after. Malls should stay open because some people might need things last minute and won't get it in time if you ship it. 

• I think that maybe if malls bring some big new thing exclusive to them then that will get more people to shop there. With the addition of amazon and many other online shopping websites many people dont want to shop in person anymore which is just going to get worse with evolution.

• In today's society, I don't think there is anything we can do to get people to shop in malls more often. We all have the luxury of being able to order almost anything online. It is much easier to order things off the internet and get it in a couple of days. I think malls should stay open because you might need to get something last minute and it won't ship in time. 

• I agree that many people don't want to leave the comfort of there own house just to shop and that they can get everything online in todays world were in the 1970 they didn't have the luxury of being able to do that.

• I dont think they can do anything. Because, Its so much easier to shop online you dont have to waste your gas and you can just sit at your home. I havent gone to a mall in a long time. I usually just shop online. I think malls should stay open because its good for a change and many people do still go to them.

• I went to a mall this summer. I used to love malls when I was younger and they were busy. I feel many people shop online. Also covid really prevented people from going out so I feel people got used to ordering online. I personally love malls. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker