Tootsie Rolls, A Saving Grace

In 1950 during the Korean War ran into an interesting dilemma when the use of a codeword gets misinterpreted. While stationed in ChangJin Reservoir, the Marine troops found themselves severally outnumbered and undersupplied. When they were almost out of mortar shells they called for an airdrop using their codename for 60MM mortar ammo, Tootsie Rolls. When the delivery arrived the troops were surprised to see boxes of actual Tootsie Rolls. What was a terrible mistake, saved hundreds of lives.

The freezing temperatures cracked vehicle fuel lines and left the troops stranded with limited ammo and tons of Tootsie Rolls. A veteran said he survived for two weeks on Tootsie Rolls. Eventually they realized they could melt the chocolate with their hands to make a putty-like consistency. They used this to patch up bullet holes, seal the broken pipes, and fix up other equipment. Finally, the chocolate refroze and they were able to get to safety, all thanks to this blessing in disguise.

I think if I was expecting bullets and got candy, I would laugh then probably cry. I wonder what went through the head of the guy who had received the request for "Tootsie Rolls" and didn't think it was a code work and instead sent actual ones. If I had gotten a request from Marine Troops out fighting in a war for Tootsie Rolls, my mind wouldn't think to send them Tootsie Rolls, if I was confused I would have asked. I think I would get very sick if I had to survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks and would probably not eat any more for a really long time.

Sources:

https://americangimuseum.org/tootsie-rolls-saved-troops-at-the-battle-of-the-chosin-reservoir/

https://unbelievable-facts.com/2018/03/funny-stories-from-history.html

Questions:

What would have been your reaction if you received candy instead of bullets?

How do you think the mix-up happened with the code word?

Could you survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I would be mad becuase of having candy instead of ammo and other supplies. i think someone did not tell the person that sent all the candy the code word for it. I could becuase it was freezing durring the time they were fighting 

• if i got candy instead of bullets i would be confused and woudl not know what is going on. I think that everobody messed up because they could have been stressed out and really confused on what was going on. I like tootsie rols but i dont think i could survive on them for two weeks. 

• I think I would have panicked and thought it  was some huge mistake or joke. I think with all the stress it caused a mix up and thats why they recieved what they did. I definetley would not be able to survive of only Tootsie Rolls for two weeks.

• If I receved candy insteed of bulets then I would defenetly be confused and wonder what was going on. I think that there might have been a mix up with the order or code. I think that I could survive on Tootsie Rolls for two weeks however I think I would never touch them agian after that.

• It I would also be very confused as to what happened. The mistake made could have been grave but they figured out of to use them to their advantage. I also think I could survive just not feel well afterwards and if I did I wouldn't eat them for a long time.

• If I got candy instead of bullets I think that I would be very confused and wonder what we are supposed to do with a bunch of "worthless" candy. I am not sure how the mix-up happened, it could have been a new guy that didn't know what was going on. I do not like Tootsie Rolls, so I don't think that I would be able to live off of them for two weeks.

•  if i got candy instead of bullets I would be a bit confused. someone maybe misheard what the code word was. I think its possible to survive on tootsie rolls for 2 weeks but I would get really sick of them I feel like.

• It is pretty confusing how this even happened. It is possible that they could of hisheard the code word, but if the code word was tootsie roll and they got tootsie rolls it was probably more of not understanding than mishearing.

• I would be confused and mad if I received candy instead of bullets, especially during war time. I think the mix-up happened as a result of someone not knowing there was a code word and accidentally ordered tootsie rolls. I wouldn't like to eat nothing but tootsie rolls for two weeks, but I think I could survive.

• It would definitely be scary if they didn't get the much needed bullets during war time, especially when they are already outnumbered. It was a big mistake on their part for the misunderstanding of the codeword. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker