The truth about guns in the US

With over 400 million firearms in the U.S, America has the most armed civilians in the world. But is this a bad thing? Recently you will see on the news that a mass shooting took place in Nashville tennessee. A 28 year old Audrey Hale entered the Covenant School and killed 6 people. Law enforcement’s response was quick and effective, killing the shooter within 14 minutes of the first 911 call. Since 2018 there have been 158 school shootings. When these types of shootings happen the response from primarily left-wing politicians is more restrictions on a constitutional right i.e gun control. 

According to the CDC there are approximately 45,000 gun related deaths in this country yearly. However the CDC’s studies have shown that over 60% of these gun deaths are suicides, Actual gun homicides only take up 36% of gun deaths in america. That's only 16200 gun related homicides yearly. More people are killed each year from car accidents, yet politicians don't want to ban cars. Considering that we have 400 million guns the numbers should be much higher, but its not. America is not even in the top 10 in the world for gun violence per 100,000 people.  

Most left-wing politicians say that banning Ar-15s and other rifles should be a top priority for this country because it's “common sense”. However, less than 3% of gun violence is committed with rifles, more people are stabbed to death with knives than AR-15. More people are beaten to death with hands and feet than AR-15 The Vast majority of gun violence in this country is committed with handguns (over 70%). 

Do you think that guns are a problem11029698490?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that guns are not a problem. I think this because guns don't kill people, people do. So as long as guns don't get into the wrong hands everything is fine. I also think that if all good law biding citizens had guns there would be less killings and deaths because the shooter would be outnumbered.

• I do not think that guns are a problem. Guns can be used for many things. For example, guns can be used in hunting, trapshooting, and many more. I do not think that guns are the problem but the person behind the gun. Like a drunk driving accident, it's not the car's fault it is the person's fault. 

• I think guns have a downside and an upside as do all things. Guns can be bad for homicide and being used improper. I think that since there are more people on the earth there are more mentally insane people especially since covid-19 lockdown being trapped alone on the internet can damage your mental health to the point of no repair. With more mentally insanits then there will be more improper people walking freely and more gun crimes and murders.

• I think that guns can be used for good reasons and bad reasons. Good reasons are for hunting and protecting your family but there is also many shootings at schools and other places. I personally don't think that banning guns would do much because people would find ways to get guns.

• I think guns and shootings are a problem right now. I don't know if changing anything about the laws would really change the amount of shootings that much though because if poeple really want to shoot other people they'll find a way to do it, just like poeple who want to drink under age or smoke find a way to do it anyways. 

• I don't think tis a gun problem is a mental health problem as well as a social economics problem. We have poor mentally ill teenagers caught up in gang violence when they should be trying to live their lives peacfully.

• I feel like the only solution to this problem is gun control. The 2nd amendment protects our right as US citizens to bare arms, but you have to think, how powerful were guns 200 years ago? I believe we have the right as citizens to own guns, but it is WAY too easy to get a gun.  US citizens should not have any guns that our military uses to fight wars. There should also be a stricter system regarding the selling and obtaining of guns. There should be a full background check (there already is), a mental health assessment, several classes that a person needs to take, and you should be at least 21. In my opinion, an 18-year-old  should not be able to go out and buy a gun if they can't go out and buy a beer. I feel like obtaining a permit should also take longer. Right now it is around 90 days, I feel like it should be close to a year, to ensure the person is mentally and physically ok and has the right education on how to use a gun. 

• I agree with you when it comes to the mental health part and the age part, I think people should be 21 when they can buy their first guns. However I disagree with you on the how easy it is, in certain states like california and New york it is really hard to get even basic firearms like glocks and shotguns, the states do have an "assault weapons" ban yet they have the highest gun voilionce rate in the country. Easy does not equal more voilence.

• I do not think that guns are the problem in all of these suicide and homicide cases. It is the people that are the problem. People who have mental heath issues get ahold of guns and that is when these shootings happen. To reduce the amount of shootings, we need to get help for the metally ill people in our society. We also could try to make sure that a person has no mental disabilities before allowing them to purchase a gun.

• I don't think guns are the problem, I think it's the people using them. They need to have more security for purchasing a gun. Guns can be very beneficial for some people, my dad carries one everywhere he goes because he works in a sketchy area. But some people use them for harmful instead of protecting uses which is a problem. They should make sure the person is mentally capable of owning a gun before letting them purchase it.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker