The truth about guns in the US

With over 400 million firearms in the U.S, America has the most armed civilians in the world. But is this a bad thing? Recently you will see on the news that a mass shooting took place in Nashville tennessee. A 28 year old Audrey Hale entered the Covenant School and killed 6 people. Law enforcement’s response was quick and effective, killing the shooter within 14 minutes of the first 911 call. Since 2018 there have been 158 school shootings. When these types of shootings happen the response from primarily left-wing politicians is more restrictions on a constitutional right i.e gun control. 

According to the CDC there are approximately 45,000 gun related deaths in this country yearly. However the CDC’s studies have shown that over 60% of these gun deaths are suicides, Actual gun homicides only take up 36% of gun deaths in america. That's only 16200 gun related homicides yearly. More people are killed each year from car accidents, yet politicians don't want to ban cars. Considering that we have 400 million guns the numbers should be much higher, but its not. America is not even in the top 10 in the world for gun violence per 100,000 people.  

Most left-wing politicians say that banning Ar-15s and other rifles should be a top priority for this country because it's “common sense”. However, less than 3% of gun violence is committed with rifles, more people are stabbed to death with knives than AR-15. More people are beaten to death with hands and feet than AR-15 The Vast majority of gun violence in this country is committed with handguns (over 70%). 

Do you think that guns are a problem11029698490?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well the thing is we already have to go through a mental background test before buying a firearm, the thing the illegal gun market in this country is huge, its almost as big as drugs, so crimainals can get easy accsess to them without all these tests. 

• I don't think guns are necassarily the problem in the US. I think its the people using the guns or how their being used. To own a gun, we should make sure peoples mental health is good so they don't use the gun to do harmful things. 

• I think that guns are a very big problem. I think one way that we could reduce these numbers is making it harder to equip a gun. I think that people should have to do more to buy a gun. Maybe make it harder to get a gun license. 

• You see the problem with that is the fact that its harder than you think to buy a gun in certain places. Take california for example, you can't conseal cary, you can't get Ar-15s, you can't even own some of the most basic types of firearms. Yet the state is number 1 in the country for gun voilence and school shootings. SO it seems to me that less guns equals less safty. 

• I don't think that they should be so easy to get. I think that it should take awhile to get guns and there should be background checks and other things done before someone should just be handed a gun. I think that we should be much stricter and do something about all the shootings.

• We already have to go through 3 different background checks to own a gun. 1 is the federal background checks, 1 is the state level, and the last is the mental health test you have to go through. When my brother bought his first gun he had to wait 3 weeks for him to be able to own it. 

• I think that you shouldn't be able to get so easy access to guns. In my opinion, there should be stricter laws about who is allowed to own guns and for what reasons. Therefore, I think that there should be more gun control. (School) shootings are so sad and we should do something about that. 

• I think that gun control should be pushed harder it does not matter if gun deaths are from school shootings or suicide both are bad things, but it does not help that you can just walk into a store and buy a gun. sure its also the people but that does not excuse the fact that guns are so easy to get.

• Well im a bit conflicted with the suicide part. If somone wants to commit suicide they will try, so do we make it harder and more painful for them by giving them a slower more painful death, or do we make easier for them to actually commit suicide by giving them an easier less painful way out. Other than that though most gun crimes are comited with illegally bought firearms so more laws won't help that.  

• I don't think that guns are the problem we need to be looking at. I think the real problem is mental health in this country. No mentally sane person would shoot up events or locations. Guns obviously should not be sold to people with mental illnesses. I think that more needs to be done about the mental health of this country.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker