The truth about guns in the US

With over 400 million firearms in the U.S, America has the most armed civilians in the world. But is this a bad thing? Recently you will see on the news that a mass shooting took place in Nashville tennessee. A 28 year old Audrey Hale entered the Covenant School and killed 6 people. Law enforcement’s response was quick and effective, killing the shooter within 14 minutes of the first 911 call. Since 2018 there have been 158 school shootings. When these types of shootings happen the response from primarily left-wing politicians is more restrictions on a constitutional right i.e gun control. 

According to the CDC there are approximately 45,000 gun related deaths in this country yearly. However the CDC’s studies have shown that over 60% of these gun deaths are suicides, Actual gun homicides only take up 36% of gun deaths in america. That's only 16200 gun related homicides yearly. More people are killed each year from car accidents, yet politicians don't want to ban cars. Considering that we have 400 million guns the numbers should be much higher, but its not. America is not even in the top 10 in the world for gun violence per 100,000 people.  

Most left-wing politicians say that banning Ar-15s and other rifles should be a top priority for this country because it's “common sense”. However, less than 3% of gun violence is committed with rifles, more people are stabbed to death with knives than AR-15. More people are beaten to death with hands and feet than AR-15 The Vast majority of gun violence in this country is committed with handguns (over 70%). 

Do you think that guns are a problem11029698490?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Kai, you are absolutlly right. When mass shootings happen everyone always says what, what were they using, what were they saying. But no one ever ask why they commited these ascts in the first place. What drove a pearson to kill children. But we already have these mental background checks in place. 85 percent of gun crimes happen with illegally bought firearms. 

• I don't think that the manufacturing of guns is the problem, but I do think that the people who are allowed to own and use a gun are. I understand why people want tighter gun restrictions, but the problem is the access to guns, not the number of them.

• I don't think that the guns are the problem, I think that the problem is the people using them or how they use them. The government has to be very careful with who they give access to guns and who they don't but I feel like it is difficult to control. 

• The thing is that the government does not control the flow of firearms in this country, they can make laws to regulate the firarms industry but at the end of the day the firearms industry is a bunch of privatelly owned companies. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker