Why Fanta is a Soda for Nazis

Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi has been a long-debated topic for many, but what most people don’t know is how these companies adapt during times of war and how Fanta was created for Nazi Germany during WWII. In the 1920s, Coca-Cola expanded its business to Europe, opening its first bottling plant in France in 1920. Eventually, they started to sell and bottle the drinks in Germany by 1929. By 1933, Max Kieth had taken control of the division of Coca-Cola in Germany.

Kieth was exceptionally loyal to the company, rather than to his home country of Germany. During the time Kieth had taken control, the Nazi Party was gaining power in Germany. Because of his loyalty, he had no problem affiliating Coca-Cola with the Nazis if it meant greater sales of their product. The CEO of Coca-Cola who led the company in America, Robert Woodruff, had no issues either with them being associated with Nazis at the time. He even attended the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, where the Coca-Cola logo was alongside the swastika on banners. Don’t worry though because the American side of the business decided to support America in the war later on. They did this by selling them for 5 cents each and ensuring that Coca-Cola would be able to get to combat zones for the American troops.

Even when Hitler invaded Europe, it didn’t affect the company at all. The American part of the company still supported the part in Germany by supplying them with syrup and supplies. In fact, the German division of Coca-Cola actually benefited from Hitler invading Europe. When Germany conquered other countries like Italy or France, Kieth would take over the Coca-Cola businesses in those countries. There is even a rumor that Hitler himself enjoyed Coca-Cola and would even drink it while watching American movies. Coca-Cola had still been getting support from its counterpart in America until December 7, 1941. The Attack on Pearl Harbor.

When the United States retaliated and joined the Allies in WWII because of the attack on Pearl Harbor, an embargo was set in place for Germany. Trade was completely stopped with Germany, so the German subsidiary of Coca-Cola would no longer get supplies to make their soda. German government threatened to take over because the company was an American-owned business. With this and the inability to make Coke anymore, Kieth had no choice but to create a new beverage.

Kieth decided to work with chemists to create a soda with the readily available supplies given to them. Keep in mind that they were very limited because of war rationing. They decided that their new drink would be made from the leftovers of other parts of the food industry. They used beet sugar, apple pulp and fibers, fruit shavings, and remaining milk from cheese production to make a new soda called Fanta, or fantasy in German. Fanta then became the drink of choice for the country because other choices of drinks were becoming less common because of the rationing. It became so popular that became exempt from the wartime rationing. Fanta was also a popular sweetener for, weirdly enough, soups and other cooking/baking needs because of the exemption of rationing. After the war was over, in 1955, Coca-Cola decided to make a new recipe for Fanta, making it orange-flavored, and selling it in Italy. In time, Coca-Cola started to sell Fanta in the United States in 1958.

Now with Coca-Cola having ties with Nazi Germany, it may make you wonder about what atrocities Pepsi committed during WWII. Did they make a monopoly to dominate the soda industry in the Soviet Union? Did they have ties to the Japanese? Well, the answer is pretty simple, they chose to stay in America and become patriots to support the war. Pepsi decided to change its logo and labels to red, white, and blue like the colors of the American flag. All in all, Fanta was a drink made by Coca-Cola out of desperation to stay afloat in Germany because of food rationing that came from WWII.

Sources:

https://samilhistory.com/2023/04/24/the-real-cola-wars/

https://www.tidridge.com/uploads/3/8/4/1/3841927/fanta.pdf

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/fanta-soda-origins-nazi-germany

Questions:

What is your favorite soda?

Did you know that Fanta was made for Germany in WWII?

Do you think that buying Fanta is okay to do today?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I also do not regularly drink pop very often, I mostly drink water, but when I do I usually choose to drink the regular versions. I agree that pop can have way too much sugar or sodium and isn't the healthiest choice.

•  I did not k now fanta was made for Germany in WWII. My favorite soda is pibb. But i dis not know they used Fanta during world WWII.

• I don't drink pop anymore, but when I did drink pop, I liked Sprite and Sierra Mist. I did not know that Fanta was made in Germany For WWII, and once you hear the reason why it was made in Germany, it makes sense. I think buying Fanta is okay because it is owned by Coca-Cola.

• For me personally, I occasionally drink pop for dinner, but I mostly drink water. I agree that buying Fanta is okay because it is owned by Coca-Cola, an American company.

• I think that buying Fanta is alright because though it was founded during the reign of nazi germany, it shoudld not depict how it runs current day. My favorite soda is hands down is root beer. Root beer is the best! I did not know that fanta was made during Nazi Germany.

• I agree that buying Fanta is fine to buy today even though it was founded during Nazi Germany because they have different values today than they did when it was created in Germany.

• I think my favorite pop is either Fresca or the winter-spiced Sprite. I didn't know that Fanta was made for WWII Germany, but plenty of things had bad beginnings but aren't as such today. I think that buying Fanta products is okay today because no one is going to tell you you're a Nazi for drinking some orange pop.

• I agree that many things have bad starts, but can become something better later on. I also agree that just because you drink Fanta doesn't mean that you support Nazis.

• My favortite soda would have to be sprite. I did not know that Fanta was made for Germany in WWII and was reallly shocked by the history behind it. I think being a Fanta supporter by purchasing there soda is okay because they have changed and arent the same company they were in WWII.

• In my opinion, I like Sprite but my favorite soda would have to be Dr. Pepper. I do agree that purchasing Fanta is okay to do because it is a completely different time and it was a completely different company.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker