The History of Math

How did math come about? Math has been an essential part of human advancement for thousands of years. It all began with ancient people, like the Egyptians and Babylonians, who used math for necessities such as measuring land and keeping track of time, around 3000 BC. These early mathematical systems set the basis for the future and it only advances from there. As time went on, the Greeks took math even further. Brilliant mathematicians explored geometry and number theory, setting the basic concepts that we still use today. Specifically looking in on the Babylonians, they developed a system based off the number 60. They are the first ones that are known for using numbers to represent an amount.

Moving forward in time, math became more similarly compared and used with science. Mathmeticians such as Newton and others helped us further understand our world today by continuing and advancing in the research of math. They discovered the path to furthering scientific discoveries as well as leading the mathematics of our modern world into a clear path. From there, math continued to evolve and expand, with new concepts and theories being developed. Today, math plays a very important part in certain work fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It's a constantly evolving subject that continues to shape our world in ways that would not have been possible without the prior exploration.

Math is probably one of my favorite subjects just because I enjoy the puzzling, multi-step problems that make me feel very accomplished after figuring them out. For me personally, I enjoy having to figure out the formulas and steps needed to solve each problem. However, I know math is not for everyone.

Do you enjoy math?

If so, what do you like about it?

If not, what is your favorite subject?

Are you interested in a job that deals with math often?

Sources:

https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.uk/HistTopics/History_overview/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mathematics

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• That is a very good point. Depending on the teacher, it can change your view of the class and how much you like it.

• I only like math if I can perfectly understand what im doing. If I dont understand what i'm doing then I dread doing it and it's not any fun. I could defiently do a job that deals with some basic math from a day to day basis. Just not a job that has a crazy amount of math.

• I don't realy like math but it is probley one of my favorites out of all the core classes.  I like dealing with numbers and some of what we learns especialy in geometry can be alplied in the real world however most of the things I learn in other classes are not used as much outside of school.

• I only enjoy mathematics when I understand perfectly what I'm doing, or when it's not difficult at all. I don't think I have a favorite subject. I don't think I fully enjoy a job that deals with math.

• Abosolutly... not I hate math with a passion, like there is no use of doing it becasue what I want to do in the future does not need math so like I feel like i dont need to do but anyways, my favorite subject is digital media because im going to college for it. 

• I DO NOT enjoy math. I find math at our level to be something only taught to those who will use it in their future. If people learn it just to get through school, they will forget it, and we spent a whole YEAR learning something just to forget. I think that other subjects are far more important than math. 

• I see where you're coming from but I think being engaged in the math we're being taught still teaches things that will be used in the future.

• I don't enjoy math unless if I get it and know what im doing. My favorite subject is probably history/geography I like doing stuff like that. I'm not sure about a job that deals with math.

• I enjoy math because I like figuring out problems. It makes me feel accomplished as well. I like that with math, the answer is either right or wrong, and it isn't subjective like some topics in other classes. I am interested in a job that deals with math.

• I do not like math, P.E., I am not interested in a job with math

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker