The History of Disney World

Walt Disney World opened to the public on October 1, 1971, and has been wildly popular ever since. Disney World is a resort that people travel across the world to visit. This park currently contains multiple different theme parks, water parks, and many hotel resorts. Even to this day, the park continues to add new features that are bigger and better than the last. Disney World attracts over 50 million visitors per year and is labeled the most visited vacation destination in the world. This resort is located in Orlando, Florida and is about 43 square miles.

Many people have heard about Disney World, but don’t know the history of it. It all started because of Disneyland. Walt Disney came up with the idea of Disneyland after visiting another amusement park in Los Angeles. He wanted a place that children and their parents could go and enjoy their time together. Disneyland opened on July 5,1955. After seeing the success that Disneyland had, Walt Disney wanted to expand beyond that. They started the construction of this new theme park on May 30,1967. Unfortunately, Walt Disney became ill and died from lung cancer in 1966, so he wasn’t able to see any of the construction for this park.

Disney World started with just one theme park, Magic Kingdom. This quickly led to the company wanting to expand the park further. The next theme park was called the EPCOT Center, and was opened in 1982. This part of the resort featured several of Walt’s ideas that he wasn’t able to introduce when he was alive. Later that decade, in 1989, the third theme park was opened as Hollywood Studios. This park was inspired by show business, like television and music. Currently, the most recent addition to the parks is the fourth theme park, being Animal Kingdom, which opened in 1998. There are many other additions to the park, but these have been the main 4 so far. 

Personally, I’ve never been to Disney World or Disneyland, but I would like to visit someday. The history of these resorts is very interesting and isn’t one that most people would think is as deep as it is. Although Walt Disney wasn’t able to see the creation of this park, I think he would be proud of how it came out, and how successful it turned out to be.

https://disneyconnect.com/disney-history/

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/walt-disney-world/in-depth/history

https://www.floridadaily.com/why-walt-disney-chose-orlando-the-history-of-walt-disney-world/

Have you ever been to Disney World? or Disneyland?

Did you enjoy going if you did? 

What is your favorite part about Disney World?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have not been to Disney World or Disneyland, but I would enjoy going. I like going on rollercoasters and I think seeing the characters would be fun.  I don't think I would like going on a day where it is crowded or the lines for the rides are long, though. 

• I haven't been to either of them too. Rollercoasters are fun and it would be nice to expirence it.

• I have never been to Disney World or Disneyland. If I did go to Disney World or Disneyland I think I would enjoy it because they have a whole area dedicated to Star Wars because when I was younger I would always watch it whenever I had free time.

• I agree that I would enjoy going to these parks if I had the chance to. There are many different areas for everybody.

• I have never been to disney world before just because I have no interest in going there just because I'm not a fan of disney at all. It is also very overcrowded there anyways.

• I haven't been to Disney World either, but I would like to go. It seems like it would be very fun and a nice expirence.

• I have been to Disney World, I thought it was fun but I went during July so it was very hot. The lines were also pretty long for some rides which was disappointing. I think my favorite thing about Disney World was going to Epcot. 

• It would definetely be very hot in the middle of July, and the lines are probably long around that time of the year.

• I have been to Disney World and it was pretty cool to see the rides, but there was wayyy too many people there. It took like two hours to just get on one ride and everywhere you go it is super crowded. I don't think I would go back, but it was still interesting to go. 

• That makes sense, the lines are probably always long for the rides. It would be more fun without having to wait.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker