The case of George Floyd

George Floyd

I think we all knew about the case of George Floyd, the innocent man whose life was taken by the police, even though he told them several times that he couldn’t breathe.

Here I will tell you in more detail what happened. (I'm sorry if it's long but it's just to give you details.)

Mr. Floyd was a regular at Cup Foods.- He was a friendly face, a pleasant consumer who never caused any trouble, the store owner Mike Abumayyaleh told NBC. But Mr. Abumayyaleh was not at work on the day of the incident (May 25). In reporting the suspicious bill, his teenage employee  was just following the protocol.

In a call to 911, made at 20:01, the employee told the operator he had demanded the cigarettes back but “he (Floyd) doesn’t want to do that”. The employee said the man appeared “drunk” and “not in control of himself”.  Shortly after the call, at around 20:08, two police officers arrived. Mr. Floyd was sitting with two other people in a car parked around the corner. After approaching the car, one of the officers, Thomas Lane, pulled out his gun and ordered Mr. Floyd to show his hands.  Mr. Lane, prosecutors said, “put his hands on Mr. Floyd, and pulled him out of the car”.Then Mr Floyd “actively resisted being handcuffed”. Once handcuffed, though, Mr. Floyd became compliant while Mr Lane explained he was being arrested for “passing counterfeit currency”.

After that, At about 20:14, Mr Floyd “stiffened up, fell to the ground, and told the officers he was claustrophobic”, according to the report.

Mr Chauvin arrived at the scene. He and other officers were involved in a further attempt to put Mr Floyd in the police car. During this attempt, at 20:19, Mr Chauvin pulled Mr Floyd away from the passenger side, causing him to fall to the ground, the report said.  He lay there, face down, still in handcuffs. That’s when witnesses started to film Mr Floyd, who appeared to be in a distressed state. These moment, captured on multiple mobile phones and shared widely on social media, would prove to be Mr Floyd’s last.

Mr Floyd was restrained by officers, while Mr Chauvin placed his left knee between his head and neck. For more than nine minutes, Mr Chauvin kept his knee on Mr Floyd’s neck.

The transcripts of bodycam footage from officers Lane and J Alexander Kueng show Mr Floyd  said more than 20 times he could not breathe as he was restrained. He was also pleading for his mother and begging “please, please, please”.  At one point, Mr Floyd gasps: “You’re going to kill me, man". Officer Chauvin replies: “Then stop talking, stop yelling. It takes heck of a lot of oxygen to talk”. Mr Floyd says: ”Can’t believe this, man. Mom, love you, Love you. Tell my kids I love them. I’m dead”. 

A female bystander told the police: “His nose is bleeding, come on now”. About six minutes into that period, Mr Floyd became non-responsive. In videos of the incident, this was when Mr Floyd fell silent, as bystanders urged the officers to check his pulse. Officer kueng did just that, checking Mr Floyd’s right wrist, but “couldn’t find one”. Yet the other officers did not move.

At 20:27, Mr Chauvin removed his knee from Mr Floyd’s neck. Motionless, Mr Floyd was rolled on to a gurney and taken to the Hennepin County Medical Center in an ambulance.

He was pronounced dead about an hour later.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fpivi5ljhI

Questions:

What do you think about this?

What do you think about what the police did?

Have you seen any video of George Floyd's arrest before?

What do you think happened to the police officer?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Many people said he was high or drunk (I'm sorry for the words Mr. Bruns)and there are other people who said he was just shocked by what was happening, because he did not understand why they were arresting him.

• I have seen the video and there are so many other people that make things worse. I think that is what the police officer did and I just wish nobody would have to go through this especially when they are not doing anything wrong.

• Yess, I agree with you, There have been more worse things and the police do not actin the same way as they acted with George, that's why many people took this case as an Act of Racism.

• I have seen many videos of this situation before. This situation cause outrage and mass outbreak in our country. People protested, peacefully and not. Some people broke things etc. Many controversial things happened from this horrible situation.

• Yes, I think this situation caused an extreme impact in U.S and more because it was a police officer towards a citizen. I think that was what had the most impact, because now you can't trust in the police 100%.

• I think this situation was a terrible event that changed the course of the equality movement. I think the police officer was 100% in the wrong and there were many better ways to handle the situation. The officer deserves major jail time for his actions.

• I agree, if I'm not wrong, in the Black Lives Matter marches there were also posters of George Floyd's face, this was very shocking. And I also think that he must have another heavier sentence, because despite being a police officer, he is an adult and wether or not he killed a person and it was not for self-defense, they should accuse him as the adult that he is and for homicide at least first level.

• It was a terrible thing that happened, and yet, not much is done to prevent it again.  There are some events where police have had to use force, however in this instance, it was not needed. There should be a screening and proper protocols for officers to follow, and I think that the other officers could have helped Floyd instead of just watching.

• Yess, I agree, Police Officers have many ways to arrest people, not just in that way that was not really needed. If the other police officers already knew that what he was doing was wrong, instead of watching, they should have really acted and done something.

• It is truly shocking that even though Floyd pleaded with the officer, he did nothing. I can imagine the helplessness that his family and the people who were in front of the scene must have felt. Yes, I saw the video and photos, I had already heard about the case. I hope the officer has paid for the horrifying act he committed.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker