The "Almost" Catastrophe of the U.S

In 1961 the us was sparred a tragedy of monumental proportion when 2 hydrogen bombs were dropped in North Carolina but didn’t detonate when a American b-52 bomber broke up midair during this the bombs were released the bombs engaged and acted as they should and there was only one low voltage trigger stopping the catastrophic disaster each bomb has 4 megatons of force that’s the equivalent of 4 million tons of TNT.

If these explosives went off lethal fallout could have been deposited from places like. Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and could have gone as far north as New York city- putting millions of lives at risk.

What do you think would’ve happened if the bombs went off

How could the us be affected by this event

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yes i believe that there wouldve been a simaler effect to what 9/11 had but in a different direction includign the scare with comunism

• The thing about these bombs if they went off the blast would have been far more powerful than the ones dropped on japan. if the bombs went off millions would have died. The area of effect would have be uninhabitalble. 

• yea there would be a worse effect than hiroshima and nagasaki wich were already devastating enough take that 10 times worse

• If the bombs went off it would of caused chaos and havoc and people would be all worried, and Im sure people would of died. The US could be a affected from radiation and death.

• i beleve there would been  a very bad chaotic effect from survivors and more havoc state and nation wide

• I think that it is very lucky that the bombs did not go off. If they did, I think that there would have been a lot of damage. It could definetly have caused a lot of terror for the U.S people and would maybe even caused a war. 

• yes it probably could have set of the cold war even worse than predicted with the russians

• I think if the bombs would have gone off they would have caused a lot of damage and a lot of deaths. Many people's houses would have been destroyed including families and jobs too. The US could have been affected because it would have caused them a lot of money to rebuild and recover all the damage done. 

• yes even the disaster relieve for an incedent like this would be worse than any disaster in the united states history

• I think that it would have caused a catastrophic event. And if they did go off it would take time to rebuild everything and also people's lives would be in danger. And it would take years to get everything back to normal.   

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker