Teen tackled and pinned by cops at school

Police at a school in Texas are inspecting a brutal and blatantly excessive take down of a sophomore student. 

Ixel Perez, a 10th grade girl at Sam Houston High School, was violently tackled to the ground and detained by 3 police officers who worked for the school district. People are thinking, alright what was the crime? Did she have a weapon? Drugs? No, the "crime" she "committed" was using her cellphone during school. 

The school has a policy that does not allow cellphones during school time, and if students are caught using them they must pay a fine and the school will keep their phone for a certain amount of time. That rule/policy is acceptable and understandable, but what happened to Perez is beyond going too far. She admits that she refused to give them her phone when they asked for it, but she claims she was on the phone with her mother who suffers from medical conditions. Perez says she was just making sure that her mom was doing okay. She didn't want to give the phone to the teacher because she was scared. Perez was asked to go out into the hallway, where she was confronted by the assistant principle. She tried to walk down the stairs to get away from the assistant principle who had called the cops, and that's when Perez was tackled. 

1. Do you think what happened to Ixel Perez was a reasonable punishment? Why or why not? If not, what do you think her punishment should have been?

2. Do you think the school's phone policy is reasonable? Why or why not? 

http://jezebel.com/cops-violently-tackle-high-school-student-for-using-her-1633838071

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that was terrible what they did to her.. she knows what the consequences are but she should not have been attacked like that. I don't like the schools policy. Thats rediculous.. I mean if you have it in school whatever don't take their phone, I mean paying the fine is fine, or getting a detention would be okay too.

• 1. I don't think that wasn't a reasonable punishment at all. They gone way to far. her punishment should have been like a detention and she can pay her fine.

2. I don't think it was reasonable at all. I think that is to strick for high schoolers.they need a little bit a freedom. 

• I do not think that was a reasonable punishment. I think her punishment should have been a detention, and lose her phone for the day. I think it is ridiculous they had police come tackle her down for being on her phone. Being on your phone is not that bad, sure you should be paying attention and you have been asked not to be on your phone, but there is no reason the school should have been that extreme. 

• I have to say no to both, to tackle a student to the ground for using her cell phone is unacceptable. If she was breaking school rules then she could take a detention, there is no need to tackle someone to the ground. To me this school policy in really strict I understand not using cell phones in school, but they can't expect all students to follow what rule. They need to understand that some students need to be in contact with their parents. But since this school with most likely keep this rule the same I think that next time the cops should try talking to the student.

• No, it was ridiculous and the officers who tackled her should be fined. She should have been left alone with no punishment, considering her mother has medical conditions. The schools phone policy is ridiculous, they shouldn't be allowed to take your phone. Let alone make you pay a fine for them taking it, that's a bit ridiculous. 

• In my opinion, the school is out of the line in everything that they're doing to enforce their cell phone policy. First and foremost, the school should not be allowed to take a child's cell phone - which is something our school does as well - as it is not their property and they have no business in taking it. It's unreasonable for schools to be able to take our phones when it should be the decision of the student's parent as to whether or not the student can have their phone after being caught using it in class. Paying a fine is unreasonable as well - it sounds like the school is getting low on cash and is charging their students to get their cell phone back... to go to the bathroom... to breathe... you get the point. Essentially, they're soliciting money from minors all for cell phone usage.

Then, this story just blew my mind. Three cops tackled and subdued a high school girl, pinning her face down and putting a knee to her head? That's insane. That's abuse of power by the school in every way. She wasn't harming anything - wouldn't it just have been easier to let the whole situation slide?

• I think that what happened to her was not reasonable punishment at all, because she had a phone not drugs or a weapon on school grounds.  She should have gotten like a detention if phones are not allowed in school.  I think that the policy is reasonable because they are in school to learn and not spending his time surfing the web and texting friends.  

• I think she should have given her phone when she was asked to do if there is a rule about cellphones in her school but the reaction of the assistant principal is excessive. She was just worried about her mother after all.

• I think that what happened to her is not reasonable at all and she should have just had her phone taken away or got sent to the principle but having the cops be called on her for that is just crazy. I don't think that she should have tried to get away though. I don't think that it is reasonable at all because people should be able to have their phones in between class periods and if they don't obey that then have the teacher give them a warning or something. 

• I agree with you also Claire, a detention would have been just fine! If her mother really does have medical conditions Ixel should have been able to check in on her. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker