Standardized Testing

This week is ISASP week which means lots of testing. High school students in general don’t like these tests, and they can cause lots of stress and mental problems. But the real question is do these tests that we take every spring even affect us? Do we, as the students, really need to take these tests to see how well we are learning?

Both sides of this argument for and against standardized testing have lots to say. First let's look at for standardized testing. Lots of people say that standardized testing helps students and teachers. This can help teachers by telling them what they need to do better next year for teaching. With students, this can tell them what classes they might have struggled in. Another way they could help students is they can see how they learn the best and from whom. Students can see where their strengths and weaknesses are in school and how to work with and around those to excel in academics.

But on the other hand, these tests that take at least an hour or more for most students and can cause lots of stress and might not even give adequate data. When taking these tests, students can possibly get anxious or stressed because they put a lot of pressure on themselves to do well. They can have test anxiety  and this can make the data skewed, which would mean that there is no point in even taking them. Because we aren’t given good data this would mean that every year they aren’t teaching the right things to students.

In my opinion we should have some sort of testing but not standardized tests. I believe that they don’t do much for our education and there are other ways that students can get adequate data to better their learning experience. Such as: giving sample questions, this way students don’t have to take hour long tests. This would give better results and data for the states to teach us better. Another way could be just looking at students grades throughout the year.

Questions:

Do you think that these tests help us learn better?

Would you rather take sample tests or standardized test?

Do you think that your ISASP score reflects how well you are learning?

https://www.americanprogress.org/article/future-testing-education-way-forward-state-standardized-tests/

https://standardizedtests.procon.org/

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12/articles/opting-out-of-standardized-testing-what-to-know

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I do not think that these test help us, I think that they just help out our school. If I could I would skip all test because I don't see much point in the test. Teachers test to see what we know but they teach us what we know so they are just testing their teaching skills.

• I think they do help out the school but there could be other ways to see what we need to know for the years to come. Like I said in the post, we could do some sort of sample tests that required us to only answer a couple of questions instead of an hour long test.

• I don't think that these tests help us learning wise, but I understand why we need them. If it weren't for standard testing then we wouldn't have an idea as to where an individual is in terms of what they should know for their grades. These tests are tedious and time consuming, but they help us in the long run.

• I think that there could be other ways that we could find out what we need to know for the next grade. Adding to that, the next class that comes in might have different struggles than the class before therefore they would need to teach different things and that would mean taking some sort of pretest at the beginning of the year not in the spring.

• In my opinion these tests don't help us learn better. I think that sample tests would be better for some students because some people get nervous when taking tests but are still very smart and have a lot of knowledge. I think ISASP can reflect how well they are learning for some people but not for everybody.

• I think that's a good point to realize, some kids who are smart and have a lot of knowledge just get nervous when taking a test. And for ISASP I agree with you that the scores can reflect some people but not eveyone's scores are going to be completely accurate.

• I don't think that these tests are helping us learn anything. I think that these tests are wasting time, some students aren't good test takers and are really smart, and these are supposed to "show our knowledge". I don't think your ISASP score should reflect how well we are learning.

• I agree with you, I know lots of people who has test anxiety which can hurt them when taking bigger tests. In my opinion, they don't "show our knowledge" either they just give data that might not actually be supporting our next years learning.

• The test is not teaching you anything, it is testing you on how you are in each subject of school. There is no learing the whole week of testing. The reasoning for all of these test is to see your knowlege, see how well your teachers are and how much the school is teaching kids.

• I think that the testing is to see how you are on each subject. But I think to some extent we aren't actually tested on what we know. For example, if you are in any advanced classes you won't know the subjects that you are supposed to know for you grade.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker