Smoking Banned In Mexico.

As of January 15, 2023 Smoking is officially banned in all public places in Mexico. This includes resorts, beaches, and stores, etc. residents are only allowed to smoke in their homes. Mexico has become extremely strict with this law and those found guilty of abusing it have multiple repercussions. These include fines of up to 550$ and even possible jail time. Many are outraged by this decision. The Mexican government has claimed to prevent and control chronic and noncommunicative diseases caused by tobacco. But many have claimed that this with actually have more of a negative impact on Mexican residents. People fear that by banning smoking Mexico will struggle economically. The ban on smoking could cause Mexico to lose a lot of its tourists and money. People also might choose other destinations for their vacation spots if they know they can't smoke.   "It's both good and bad at the same time. It's good because smoking is harmful, but at the same time it's bad because you should be able to do whatever you want with your health," said one resident.10993570901?profile=RESIZE_180x180

People won't come in for drinks anymore because everyone smokes nowadays, everyone wants to smoke. So, our sales are going to go down," one waitress explained.

Overall smoking being banned in Mexico may have Positive affects on people's health but negative effects on Mexican businesses/economy. I personally believe that banning smoking in Mexico is a good thing.

What do you think? 

Would you like to see smoking banned in USA? Explain. 

Do you think banning smoking in Mexico will positively or negatively affect them?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think with the smoke ban, some restaurants, resorts, and businesses that fall into the tourist and entertainment category will suffer. With the ban, people are going to want to stay home in their free time and smoke with their friends and family instead of going out. Yes, this is a step taken to help with public health, but people are still going to make whatever choice they want; regardless if it affects their health and well-being or not.

• I like that you mentioned them staying home. Thats very true. 

• I think that Mexico made the right decision in banning smoking in public places. I think that smoking is terrible for you and I don't like seeing it in public. Also, smoking smells really bad. I think that smoking in public should be banned in the United States because it could be a step to helping people quit.

• I agree smoking is terrible for you so its a wise decision.

• I don't think that banning smokes is gonna stop people from smoking. They are really bad for you but people are stilling going to smoke no matter what which is really bad. Personally, I think that they might as well ban vaping to if they haven't already.

• You right it won't necessarily stop people from smoking. 

• People are still gonna smoke so I don't think them just banning it in public places isn't gonna help that much. I think to many people are still smoking so I don't see it happening in the U.S. I think banning smoking in Mexico is gonna be negative because just so many people do it.

• I also dont see it happening in the US but i wish it did. 

• I believe that banning smoking is a great idea, but not everyone is gonna belive in it. The people that are the ones who are smoking would find ways to continue to keep smoking. Smoking is very bad for our economy and the people in the long run. 

• I like your mentioning that people will still be smoking even if they ban it. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker