Should Young Children Have Phones?

There are many reasons why children should or shouldn't have phones. Since phones were created so recently we are still trying to figure out the best way to introduce them to young minds. There have been many studies conducted and most of them say you should wait till your child is 12-14 years old or they should be in at least the eighth grade. Now, 42% of children get a phone before the age of 10 and as much as 91% have a phone by the young age of fourteen. Should we be buying children phones this early? 

First of all, many parents like that their children have phones because they are able to be in constant contact. This makes many parents feel more secure when their kids leave home. Phones are also great to have because of safety reasons. They could call 911 or anybody that can help them with just a couple clicks of a button.  Another reason it's good for children to have phones is because it gives them a sense of independence and maturity. This gives them responsiblity and helps them learn how to take care of things at an earlier age. 

There are also many down sides to having phones at a young age. Screen addictions can start especially at a young age. Overuse of phones at such a young age can have poor mental and physical health effects. There is also problems with parents being able to control what their children are playing or watching. With this, cyberbullying can accure no matter how much you try as a parent to stop it. 

Personally, I believe that kids should have phones. But only when they are old enough for parents to trust them or they need it because they have extracurricular activities, like sports. I feel like a good time to get a phone would be the seventh grade when many people start school sports or other activities. Otherwise I would say get a phone at the age of 12. Parents should implement their own rules based on what they see fit. For example, I got my first phone when I was in seventh grade. I had screen time and could only have certain apps until I proved to my parents they could trust me. I feel this is what most parents should do in order to help control the amount of phone usage for their child. 

What age did you get a phone?

What age do you think children should get a phone?

Why do you think that's a good age?

Source 1: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/is-your-child-ready-for-a-smartphone-or-not

Source 2 : https://www.forbes.com/health/family/best-age-for-first-cell-phone/#:~:text=Recent%20survey%20data%20suggests%2042,placed%20in%20a%20child's%20pocket.

Source 3 : https://troomi.com/pros-and-cons-of-young-kids-having-cell-phones/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I got my first ipod when I was 10, later on I got a phone but it was restricted. I think up until you are old enough for soical media phones should only be used with certain friends and family members. There are too many things on social media that shouldn't be exposed to kids. 

• I agree that when young children have phones for the first time their should be limits set or at least a little restriction. Social media is a big concern for many parents and that is why they should be able to pick what you have on your phone till they trust you enough.

• I got my first like hand me down phone when I was 12 but I couldn't text or call or anything because it had to sim card. I think it should be somewhere around there middle school or or beginning of high school so they can call for a ride for sports and things.

• I agree that phones can be extremely useful, if not essential for children when they are in sports and extracurriculars. I feel there needs to be restrictions on their phones, but they might need them in middle school with all the new activity opportunities.

• I got a phone with I was in 3rd grade. I think if kids need them for safety reasons, like communication, then they can have a phone but with restrictions. Over all though it the parents decision and it all depends on what they need it for.

• I was 13 years old, going into 7th grade when I got a phone. I think parents should wait until at least 13 to buy their kids a phone. My parents bought me a phone at 13 because of extracurricular activites. However, it was for communication purposes only, I didn't get social media until high school. I think my parents picked a good age to buy my siblings and I phones.

• I got my first phone when I was 12 but before that I had a Gizmo watch so that I could call my parents when I needed something, without having games or social media. I think that kids should get their first phones when they are 12 years old/when they enter middle school. I think that the middle school age is good because that is when students have more freedoms, able to do more things, so they will need ways to communicate.

• I really like the idea of children having gismos until they got a phone because it still makes parents feel safer and helps them always keep in contact with their children. If you have a gismo I feel once you are in 8th grade you should get a real phone for the first time.

• I think I got my first phone when I was 10 or 11.  I do not think children should get their phone at an early age, but there is pros and cons. Some pros would be that parents can communicate with their children easier, they can just text them of call them in case they need something. Some cons would be that they can get influenced by what they see in social media, which now has a big impact on earlier generations. I think a good age would be entering middle school, but parents also need to teach their children what is right and what is wrong about using their phones before they give them one. 

• i got my first phone when I was 13 years old. I think that children should have their first phone between the ages of 11-13 so they can communicate with their parents and also with friends, with necessary restrictions on some applications as well, so that they may begin to need it for homework. Also, if children start using it from a very young age, they can develop a dependency.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker