Should Women have to wear Hijabs?

In April of 1983, Islamic law made it mandatory for all women to wear hijabs. Many other countries share this same law, prohibiting women from showing any hair or wearing the hijab "incorrectly." Even tourists or non-muslims have to wear hijabs when traveling to these places. In the 1990's, the government began threatening people with imprisonment, flogging, or fines if they refuse to wear head coverings. Women can be placed in jail anywhere from 10 days to 2 months in Iran for not wearing hijabs. However, laws changed in January of 2018, which lightened the punishment for these crimes. Women would only have to attend educational classes if they were seen without head coverings, although repeat offenders would face charges. This obligatory dress code has been around for years, and little to nothing has changed since then.

While many women in Iran defend this law, others believe that it should be a women's choice if they choose to wear a hijab or not. Protests have begun to be more pronounced as a 22-year old woman named Masha Amini was found dead in a hospital under police custody.  She was taken by Iran's religious moralilty police for wearing her hijab "improperly". Suspicions arose as a picture of Amini in a coma spread around social media. Other reports state the Amini had hemorrhaging in her head which suggest she had been struck multiple times before passing away. Many believed that she had been beaten and killed by the police. Amini's story caused an ourtrage amongst many people who demand a change to the law. Women across the world have begun to take off their hijab or even go as far as shaving their heads to stand againt the Iran government. Amini's coroner denies these allegations, stating that her death was not from head injuries but rather from an underlying illness that she was suffering from. Still, this was not enough evidence for the public, as they still are protesting for the right to not wear a hijab.

Although America does not share the same laws as Islamic countries, women here are also protesting for the people of Iran. Americans still have families and friends who face danger everyday living in Iran and are afraid of what the government may do as punishment to all women there. I think that it should not be mandatory for women to wear hijabs nor any form of clothing permitted by the government. People should be able to wear whatever they feel most comfortable in. Governments should not have the power to control every part of a person's lives down to the strands of hair the have in their face. 

Should America help women who are forced to wear hijabs?

Should women in Iran continue protesting?

Will Iran consider changing their laws on hijabs?

https://theconversation.com/hijab-law-in-iran-over-the-decades-the-continuing-battle-for-reform-192037

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maggiemcgrath/2022/12/06/mahsa-amini-the-spark-that-ignited-a-women-led-revolution/?sh=3f04b2c65c3d

https://repository.uchastings.edu/hastings_race_poverty_law_journal/vol5/iss2/6/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Islam is not the issue, it's the people RUNNING the Islamic countries. The Muslim religion does not force women to wear the hijab, it is the men in power forcing these women to dress how they interpret the Quaran. Many people think Islam is bad, treats women poorly, and degrades women. But if you just dive a little bit in, you realize that is not the case at all. Islam actually honors women in many ways over men, like during a woman's menstrual cycle. The men in power in these countries are using the Quaran as a shield and in turn, are making the religion look bad. When in reality, the religion is actually very beautiful and empowering. The hijab is supposed to be a choice, another way to just be more modest, it is not a requirement. These men are awful and the women should continue to fight for the right, given to them by Allah (god), to dress how they like. It is encouraged to dress modestly in the religion, but you are not shamed if you decide not to. 

• You are absolutely right. The men who run these countries use their power for evil such as forcing women to cover up under the penalty of death. I think the men should be more willing to actually comprehend the religion instead of using it for their own gain.

• Exactly. These men are using Islam as a weapon against women. It is honestly disgusting. Let people practice how they want as the Quaran says. 

• I believe that women in Iran should have a choice to wear a hijab, it shouldn't be up to anyone but the women who have to wear them. I understand that it is a part of their religion and could be very important to them but who's to say that they have to follow that religion, they should get to choose what religion they want to follow.

• I don't necessarily the religion that is in question but moreover the government and how they are going about ruling the country. The religion they follow do not make it mandatiory for women to wear hijabs, it is the men that use their power for unfair laws.

• I think the Women should continue protesting. They should be able to decide wether they wear a hijab or not. I also think its unbelievable they are making women from different countries also wear one. Their government is taking it to far with trying to control what they wear. I dont know if we want to get our government involved but protesting can change a lot. If our people are protesting as well as their own I believe it will change. 

• I absolutely agree that women should try and keep protesting. All women including the ones in the middle-east should be able to protest for their civil rights. The government is using their power is dangerous and morally unlawful ways.

• I don't know if we should get involved with something like that. I think we need to focus on problems in our own country before we worry about things like this. I think that the women in Iran should keep protesting if they believe in the message. I think it should be up to the women to decide.

• I agree that it would be dangerous for the American governmnet to get involved with the Middle-East, especially after all the years we have sent troops there to no avail. However, if there was a way to donate or go and support the women there as a american citizen, I beleive that would be a lot more logical.

• I think that yes, women should have a choice whether or not to wear a hijab. And yes, America should help. But this is a hard topic to consider and it has been for many years. Since Amini's death people all over the internet have been cutting their hair in videos under the caption, "Justice for Masha Amini" or something along those lines. If we get in too deep with this it could be seen as a threat to these countries that require it. As for the protesting, I'm a little iffy on. If it will help and these women have no problem standging up for what they believe in, great. But it could cost and has cost many people their lives.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker