Should we keep Unmarked Police Cars?

Should we keep undercover/unmarked cops? Though those ones are marked and can pull you over, are unmarked police cars really necessary?

Overall, undercover policing has been a very effective route in policing. Undercover police cars control the movement of traffic. When people know there may be a cop they tend to follow traffic laws better. When no cops are easily seen, they loosen up on the laws. Having unmarked police cars out can worry some people into obeying the laws. Many crimes tend to happen where police cars are not. Having unmarked cars can secure the area better and catch criminals. The use of unmarked cars may seem unfair, but it ensures safety for the public. In Iowa, it is legal for there to be Unmarked police cars. If the police officer is not in uniform, they must be in a marked police car, but if they are in uniform, they may be in an unmarked police car. 

Many people do not enjoy being pulled over, especially by someone they didn’t even know was around. Unmarked cop cars blend into traffic. Unmarked cars are sometimes difficult to identify. If an unmarked car tries to pull you over some would think it wasn’t a cop because it has no marking. Unmarked cars can lead to people impersonating the police and abduction rates increase. Some people will not end up obeying the police orders if they are unmarked. 

Personally, I have seen an unmarked police car pull someone over before, and I don't think they should be banned. We don't have very many unmarked cars in Iowa, and I think it is fine. We should be obeying the laws at all times, so it shouldn't matter if they are marked or not, but I do see why some would find it very aggravating to have them. If you live in a bigger city, you may not realize when they are trying to pull you over. But in Small town Harlan, we don't have this problem, especially since we don't have a police department anymore. 

Do you think unmarked cop cars should be banned? Why or why not? 

Have you ever seen an unmarked police car do anything? 

Do you think the unmarked police cars really affect us in any way? 

https://www.police1.com/traffic-patrol/articles/state-your-case-should-law-enforcement-agencies-use-unmarked-vehicles-for-traffic-enforcement-xwAYbYyleWP6BWLW/#:~:text=Unmarked%20police%20vehicles%2C%20should%20have,police%20vehicle%2C%20they%20drive%20better

https://www.lib.niu.edu/1956/im5608153b.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have seen many unmarked ones too, I agree they do keep the roads safer

• I understand the need for unmarked police vehicles, but they are tricky when you're not expecting them and I wouldn't mind if they were taken out of practice, but I really don't see that happening ever. The unmarked cars work well and catch people who aren't obeying the laws.

• I agree, they can be tricky and I would mind them being taken out, but because they do so many traffic violations and citations, they won't be taken out of practice. 

• I am not against having unmarked cop cars though I think that if one tried to pull me over I would be quite concerned that it isn't a real police officer. I have seen a car that I think was an unmarked cop car but I didn't see them do anything. So far I have not been affected by one and I do not know anyone who has been so I am not sure how often they do anything.

• Most of the time they have signs that they are a undercover car. I am not against having them, but I do think they can be a prick in the neck sometimes. 

• I think that unmarked police cars should stay, by the way that you make it sound, no one ever does anything illegal, which is wrong. There are a lot of stupid drivers out there, and unmarked vehicles help to take them off of the road.  Unmarked vehicles can also be used for undercover work, such as spying on dealers to do drug busts. It is going to look really obvious if there is a  marked police car parked right in front of a dealer's house instead of an unmarked one. People are more likely to drive similar to how they usually do if they don't think that there is a cop near, so that means there will be more people pulled over, and more revenue for the state/town. The government has to make money somehow, and a somewhat large portion of that is traffic citations and fines. 

• I understand that people do illegal things, we all do it no matter how big or small. The government does have to make money, and I agree a huge chunk comes from traffic citations and fines, but should the office people get how much a raise for sitting in an office just because they work for the city? 

• I dont see a problem with unmarked police cars. I feel they are good because they can catch criminals faster/easier. If people dont want to get caught they shouldnt be breaking the law in my opinion. Good topic! 

• This is true, if they don't want to be caught then they shouldn't be doing the illegal thing. Thank you! 

• I don't think that they should be banned. I think that they are a great way of catching crime undercover, so then it makes sure that "most" people are doing the right thing at all times just in case of an undercover police car.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker