Should Vaping and E-cigarettes be banned?

In the past years, vaping has become very popular. I would even say it is even more popular than smoking cigarettes. Vaping contains nicotine and which is a very addictive chemical. You might've heard of the brand “JUUL” before, which was known to be one of the top vapes in 2020-2021. However, on June 23, 2022, the FDA made Juul stop selling all of their products in the United States  This included removing products currently on the market, including Juul devices and pods. E-cigarettes were the 4th most popular tobacco product in 2019. In 2018 it was estimated that 1 in 5 high school students owned a “Juul” or another type of e-cigarette. 

Some may say that there are pros like, it can help adults quit smoking and prevent youth from smoking. But I do not think that vaping is any better than smoking. I think it is worse. Research says that one cartridge that goes in a vape has 20 cigarettes in it and a teen is more likely to to smoke those cartridges at a must faster rate than cigarettes. Some may say that Vaping is a “safer” way to ingest tobacco. However, I strongly disagree. Vaping can cause a thing called  “popcorn” lungs which can ruin your lungs and can even cause death.

There are many cons but a few are, vaping is causing a serious addiction in young kids. Vaping is also much easier to “smoke” than cigarettes. For example, you could vape in the bathroom without having a strong smell to you whereas if you were to smoke a cigarette you would be able to smell it on your clothes. Another cause is that vaping can cause serious health problems like depression, lung disease, or even strokes. Vaping can cause addiction to other drugs that could be more serious and could harm you a lot more. One last con is that e-cigarettes can start on fire and explode. Some people have lost body parts (like an eye, tooth, or tongue) due to e-cigarettes exploding. Airports even ban all vapes or e-cigarettes to go under the plane in case it would explode under the plane. 

I think vaping is very bad and should be banned in all states. Vaping is not any better than smoking cigarettes. Banning vaping could save many people's lives. And prevent future addictions to worse drugs.

1. Is vaping worse than smoking in your opinion?
  2. Do you think e-cigarette companies are targeting young kids?
  3. How do you think we can prevent vaping?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/is-vaping-with-e-cigarettes-safe/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Yes, there it is very likely it would have the same outcome. 

• I think vaping is a little better than cigarettes because cigarettes stink and can stay in peoples clothes while they are at other places and it just lingers. I dont know if e-cigarette companies are targeting young kids but I hope not because children should not be doing it. I think we can prevent vaping from people doing it in public and peer pressure. I dont think it should be banned because I know people would probably be very upset.

• yes people would be upset but it could save someone life if it was banned. 

• In my personal opinion, I think that smoking is way worse than vaping if not equal. I understand vaping is bad and can cause a lot of different health issues, but smoking is harder on the lungs and can cause lots of different types of cancers that could kill you. Just look at it this way would you rather die a fast death from popcorn lung, or die a slow probably very painful death from COPD from not being able to breathe? Yes, I 100% believe that vaping and e-cig companies are targeting teenagers when trying to sell their products. They know that they can trick teens into buying their product so they use that to their advantage. The way to stop this is to raise awareness of how dangerous it actually is teens see the ads on tv that say that these e-cigs are safe and can even help them stop smoking, and they go out and buy one. So let's change that to show the truth and make people more aware of the real dangers of this. Do the opposite of what the vaping ads are doing.

• I think that vaping could be worse than smoking because you are inhaling metals. 

• While I believe vaping and smoking shouldn't be compared, as both of them are still bad, I still believe that they shouldn't be banned. That's taking away freedom from people who don't want to change, it will cause withdrawal or they will just get hooked on cigarettes, which isn't any better.

• Yes, both are bad.

• I am not sure what I think is worse. However, I think that vaping is more accessible and easier to use. I do think that e-cigarette companies are targeting kids because kids are more likely to do something to fit in. I don't know of a way to prevent vaping other than banning it.

• Yes, it is more accesibles. 

• I don't think that vaping is worse than smoking, but that is not to say that it is not harmful. I agree that over the past few years, vaping has become more and more popular, but I don't think that it's because of advertising. I know of people that have started vaping because of stress. There are health ads about how vapes don't relieve stress, but they still give it a try and have gotten addicted. I don't think that they should be banned, but there definitely shouldn't be advertising in a positive or negative light.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker