Many students have study hall for at least one period of the day. however most kids just sit on their phones and do not work on work so what is the point of us being there, many students would like to go home during their study hall and they can't because they have to get signed out, students should be able to leave during there study halls so they have free time in between classes to refocus ourselves During the school day the administration is responsible for the safety of all students In order to fulfill this responsibility the administration feels it necessary to monitor students from the time they arrive at school to the time they get home

Students are currently expected to stay in study hall because the administration believes study hall encourages productivity and ensures students’ safety allowing responsible students to go home during study hall would allow them to use their periods more efficiently students who need to write essays or work on projects would be able to do so in a quiet space with familiar computers and materials. Students participating in after-school activities can get a head-start on their homework and save valuable time.  

While student safety is perhaps a more valid concern than student productivity responsible upperclassmen can be expected to accept liability for themselves while off-campus. in terms of legal responsibility, a system can easily be put in place to release the school of accountability for a student’s safety while he or she is off campus. It is important to remember that an off-campus privilege would be more precise than a privilege.

Do you think students should be able to leave during study hall? 

Do you think this could improve engagement while the teachers teach?

https://bphawkeye.org/editorial-2/2016/10/25/students-should-be-allowed-to-leave-during-study-hall-or-lunch/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with this because we should be able to leave for study hall if we have good grades and are responsible 

• I think that if your a junior in 4th quarter and are proficient with the requirements that have been set you should be able to leave but i personally don't think anyone under that should be able to leave. The freshman and sophomores are new to highschool and have more freedom, than they are used. I think that it would not help the teachers at all because students would be talking about what they just did outside of school or what they're going to do.

• I think that students should be able to leave if they have good enough grades. This would enable some kids to be more engaged during class. I think that students should be able to go home if they have study hall 8th hour. I think there wouldn't be very many students that would go off campus anyways.

• I agree with this and yes it would enable some kids to be more engaged during class

• I do think lower classmen should be able to leave during study hall. It will give students a reason to not skip study hall or be late to the next class. However, I think if you're late to class or skipping the next class because you weren't back in time then I think you deserve some sort of punishment.

• I think that students should be able to leave during study hall as long as they obtains a certain GPA. I think this could improve engagement, I know I like doing my homework more at home because I feel more comfortable in my own home. My sister gets to leave school as a senior and her schedule is more like college. Which is the whole point of highschool is to get us ready for collge. And college is supposed to get us ready for the real world.

• I agree with this it should be based on a certain GPA I think that it would improve engagement also 

• I think it would be nice to be able to leave during study hall. If we got to leave during study hall it would be a good break to go outside and not do anything. Yes, I think in some ways it could improve the engagement while the teachers teach because students would be more focussed and ready to listen after having a break. 

• I think that underclassman should be able to leave for study hall as long as they have passing grades and are doing fine in their classes. I think if kids can leave during study hall they might be able to focus more during class because their brain gets a break. 

• I think that as long as the student has all passing grades they should be able to leave. If the student has work that they need to do, they can make that decision on themselves if they should stay for study hall or not. I think that if their grades start to go down then they should be talked to.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker