Should Toys Be Banded?

Toys are alwasy something kids enojy playing with. When I was a kid I loved my toys and I loved when I got new ones. I think that many kids enjoyed having toys when they were little and even kids now enjoy having toys. There has been a study that toys injury rate has increased to 40% in the United States. Its also including statistics from emergnacy departments collected between 1990-2011. There has been over 3 million children treated in emergancy rooms for toy related injurys, and a little over half the kids being injurged are 6 years and younger. Researchers habe found that the number one toy causing these injurys are ride-on toys or scooters. Dr. Gary Smith, the leader of the research, said " We know that those numbers are increasing. So its a call to action. We really do have a lot more work to do to provide safe toys for children." He also says that 40% only comes from emergancy departments, but there are also kids who don't get medical care at all.

There are also different types of toy injuries for different ages. Kids under 5 spend most of their time at home, so they get injured by inside toys. For children under 3 its choking hazards. Toys with small parts are always a hazard for smaller children and recalled toys can always be the problem. Dr. Smith recomends that parents look at Recalls.gov  before buying the toy. As for older kids it is scooters, they became very popular in 1999 but there were also lots of injurys from them. Dr.smith suggest that if you buy a scooter you should get a helmet with it and make sure your child isnt close by any street. Now that you know some hazards that toys can cause to children do you think they should be banded or do you think toys arent dangerous? 

should toys  be banded?

Did you have a scooter? If so did you ever get injured from it?

https://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/health/child-toy-injuries

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think there is always a risk when it comes to children. Taking away something that is important for development because it could injur someone is unreasonable. Yes, they can be dangerous and they should be tweaked as the company feels necessary, thoughi dont think they should be taken away all together. It is important for kids to learn from their mistakes and for them to learn independance. If everytghing was taken away because of safety reasons there would be no transportation around anymore. I think they are important to the development of a child and should not be banned.  

• I do think that some toys should be recalled but kids need toys its a big part of there develompent. Yes some toys may cause injuries but if you give the right toy to the right age group the kids should be fine they might get a little hurt but that happens to all of us we cant control how they choice to use the toy. If you got rid of every toys that you have ever hurt your self useign you would probobley not have very many toys left. 

• I kinda agree with you. We could ban some of the actually dangerous toys but I would say 95% of toys are safe to use and can be the most fun thing to a childs life. Your exactly right when you said how we can't control how they choose to use the toy.

• No toys should not be banned some need to be recalled and fixed to ban all toys, no. I have been injured by a scooter many times once riding down a hill I skidded my knee then I cut my ankle on one because I put my foot down and it sliced it but it healed and I still rode the scooter. If every time I got hurt by a toy I would get rid of it I wouldn't have had any toys. 

• I think some toys should be recalled but infants and toddlers need the toys with number and colors for proper development. I had a scooter when i was younger and only ever got injured by it when it hit my anke. I also do not think they can ban scooters. it is like a staple in kids childhood.

• I don't believe that toys should be banned just because people get injured. It is really just a matter of wearing the proper safety gear which most people don't. Just like motorcycle accidents a helmet can save you from death and serious injury.

• I agree with you because you most likely won't get hurt if you wear the safety equipment. I think parents just need to put the right safety equipment on their children. Most of the time when kids get hurt it's not that serious anyway. 

• Although some toys are dangerous I definantly don't think toys should be banned that is just rediculous.  I think that if a parent thinks that a toy is too dangerous than they simply just shouldn't buy it because nobody is forcing them too.  I had a scooter and yeah I got cuts and bruses from it sometimes but you can get cuts and bruses from many other thing like even walking so are you going to ban walking.  Wrecking bicycles and scooters when I was a kid just made me tougher.

• I agree. I think parents care too much and are being way too protectective. I don't think I ever wore safety gear on a bike or scooter, and I'm still here. Sure I got cut up or bruised sometimes like you did, but it makes you tougher and it is usually fun what you are doing if you do wreck too.

• Absolutely not, why would you try and take away something that all kids around the world play with? Childhood without toys would not be fun I'll tell you that much. I did have a scooter, and yeah sometimes I would fall on the cement and scrape my knee up but you just have to get up and brush yourself off and quit whining.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker