Should There Be More Gun Control?

Should buying a gun be harder than it already is? Today there are a couple of steps to purchasing a pre-built manufactured weapon. Either you have to have a permit to carry or a permit to acquire. Though you do not need the permits. You will have to complete a NICS(National Instant Criminal Background Check System) form each time you purchase a firearm.

To get either permit you will have to go to your county sheriff's office to fill out a form. If you choose not to get the permits you can take the NICS form before the purchase. The NICS is a background check created by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993. That is before you are able to purchase a firearm. During the process of getting a firearm though you have to fill out Form 4473. This form was created by the ATF (The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) on January 16, 2017. It is a six-page form that you need to sign every time you buy a weapon from an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed dealer). After purchasing a firearm, the individual needs to be 18+ to purchase any ammo for the weapon.

In my opinion, I think that there should not be more gun control. I think this because it is starting to become unconstitutional. People should be able to own and bear firearms. Adding more laws to limit the number of people to own weapons. I think owning the permits and having background checks is a little much but is needed to lessen the number of deaths and accidents. 

Do you think that there should be more gun control? Why?

Would you own a gun in the future?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree that there should be a tiny bit more gun control. I feel that it would help lower the number of gangs and criminals who end up with weapons. I also agree that the people are the problem and not the guns. Guns are good for protection as long as you use them with the right intentions.

• I think that gun control is enforsed good right now and should stay the same. People with guns have to have licences and have a clean record so its not like they are bad people. I own many gun right now and plan on getting more because they are cool.

• I agree that gun control is good the way it is. If a bad person would try to get a gun the enforcement we have today will stop them from getting one. I think that a gun is a good weapon to help defend yourself and should be used with good intentions.

• I personally think that gun control should be enforced as much as it is now if not a little bit more if possible. However, I am a strong believer in the ammenments and our rights as a United States citezen to bear our arms; It's the bad apples that make us challenge the equity and morality of such high caliber firearms.

• I do agree that gun control is good where it is, but a bit more wouldn't hurt. I am also a strong believer that the amendments are there for us to be free. I also agree that this wouldn't be an issue if there were no "bad apples" in our society.

• I'd agree with that. A person can feel however they do about the right to bear arms, but I do not think the standards we have presently are too strict. Background checks and some legal proceedings do not seem excessive for a device that could kill someone with one movement of your hand.

• A gun is extremely dangerous if not used correctly or if put in the wrong hands. Cars, something capable of killing people, have a pretty extensive process to be able to use. I think it's expected that at least some sort of process is put in place for guns. However, as a senior who is going to be living by myself or one other woman soon, I see the topic through a different lens. For a young woman, it's most likely any crimes committed against her will take place in her own home. Obviously, that all scares me and makes me debate owning firearms.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker