Should There be an Age Limit on Energy Drinks?

Many teens, myself included, have gotten really used to drinking energy drinks fairly often. But should teens be able to drink them freely? Many people have concerns. The 4 major side effects of energy drinks are anxiety, dehydration, insomnia, and heart complications. Heart complications include irregular heartbeat or even heart failure.

In 2011, 1499 teens were rushed to the ER because of an energy drink related emergency. More than 10 percent of these ER visits resulted in those teens being hospitalized. Many energy drink brands target their ads towards kids aged 13-18. As a result, these teens are influenced to drink these. Many schools even have energy drinks in vending machines, giving teens an even easier access to energy drinks. Parents are also uneducated on how risky it is having young children drink these drinks, especially the ones that have sugar in them.

So how do energy drink companies defend themselves? Many companies say that a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts has more sugar and caffeine than their drinks. The difference is that energy drinks use artificial sources for caffeine, which have been proven to be more dangerous than natural caffeine sources. Many health research centers have concluded that children should consume no caffeine at all.

In my opinion, I think that the age limit for energy drinks should be 16. At that age, many teens are full grown or close to it. The major concern of teens drinking energy drinks is because they are smaller than adults, but many teens, girls especially, are full grown by 16. Also, energy drinks can help teens focus better in school, so they should be able to consume them in moderation.

Questions:

Do you drink energy drinks? If so, how often?

Do you think there should be an age limit for energy drinks?

Sources:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/scientists-say-energy-drinks-ads-shouldnt-target-teens/592657/ 

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/nutrition/energy.htm 

https://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2020/atp-energy-drinks 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I drink a large amount of energy drinks. I have around at least 4-5 a week. I believe that they can be quite addicting. I think they also affect everyone differently. Some can have one and still go to sleep fine and others get jittery. I don't think there should be an age limit but those drinking them should know their personal limit.

• I agree that the people who consume them should know the risks.

• I think there should be a limit for how young you can drink it but not so young that you have to be over 18 I think 13 to 14 is a good age for energy drinks before that I think it could be more problematic. by the time you are 13 to 14, you know the effects of what you are drinking, and if you want to drink it, go for it.

• I agree. Any kid under the age of 14 shouldn't be consuming the large amounts of caffeine that energy drinks have.

• I don't think that there should be an age limit, but I think that under a certain age, the kids' parents should know they shouldn't have it. I drink energy drinks and I think that they do help but they can get people pretty jittery. I think that having one at a young age could definitely hit them differently. 

• I agree that energy drinks can help, and parents need to make sure to educate their kids on the risks of energy drinks.

• I drink quite a bit of energy drinks, but most of the time it's for the gym when I run out of pre. I do think that there should be an age limit on energy drinks. I think that most of that is up to the parent and the parents should decide how much that they can have.

• I dont drink energy drinks,. I think that there should be an age limit on energy drinks because of how addicting and bad they are for your health. If a little kid drinks too much then they can mess up their heart and can cause irriversible damage. Although I think there should be a ban there are many people of all ages who drink enegy drinks so it would be hard to stop. 

• I agree that it would be hard to stop young kids from drinking energy drinks on a regular basis because they have gotten so used to drinking them now.

• Personally I don't drink energy drinks. I don't think that there should be a limit age on energy drinks, I believe it is up to the parents and the own teenager depending on their own health. I agree that they can cause heart problems but as you said, many people are already used to drinking them and it is hard to stop now. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker