Should There be an Age Limit on Energy Drinks?

Many teens, myself included, have gotten really used to drinking energy drinks fairly often. But should teens be able to drink them freely? Many people have concerns. The 4 major side effects of energy drinks are anxiety, dehydration, insomnia, and heart complications. Heart complications include irregular heartbeat or even heart failure.

In 2011, 1499 teens were rushed to the ER because of an energy drink related emergency. More than 10 percent of these ER visits resulted in those teens being hospitalized. Many energy drink brands target their ads towards kids aged 13-18. As a result, these teens are influenced to drink these. Many schools even have energy drinks in vending machines, giving teens an even easier access to energy drinks. Parents are also uneducated on how risky it is having young children drink these drinks, especially the ones that have sugar in them.

So how do energy drink companies defend themselves? Many companies say that a large coffee from Dunkin Donuts has more sugar and caffeine than their drinks. The difference is that energy drinks use artificial sources for caffeine, which have been proven to be more dangerous than natural caffeine sources. Many health research centers have concluded that children should consume no caffeine at all.

In my opinion, I think that the age limit for energy drinks should be 16. At that age, many teens are full grown or close to it. The major concern of teens drinking energy drinks is because they are smaller than adults, but many teens, girls especially, are full grown by 16. Also, energy drinks can help teens focus better in school, so they should be able to consume them in moderation.

Questions:

Do you drink energy drinks? If so, how often?

Do you think there should be an age limit for energy drinks?

Sources:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/scientists-say-energy-drinks-ads-shouldnt-target-teens/592657/ 

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/nutrition/energy.htm 

https://www.unr.edu/nevada-today/news/2020/atp-energy-drinks 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you. Putting an age limit on energy drinks will not stop people from drinking them.

• I dont think there should be an age limit i just think you shouldnt drink them all the time. I think parents have their limits with their kids and they tell them what they can drink and how much, i also thinlk you should at least be 14 or so becasue people get addicted to them and i dont think they should drink them all the time

• I agree that people shouldn't drink energy drinks all the time. The do have their benefits, but only in moderation.

• I have never really been one to drink energy drinks or pops, unless on a certain occasion. I do not think that there should be an age limit. I think that if parents don't want their children to drink energy drinks then that should be their opinion. However, I don't think you should drink energy drinks until the age of 14-16. 

• I agree that kids shouldn't be drinking energy drinks before the age of 14-16 because they can be very harmful for your health.

• I think that there shuld not be a age limit, it is your own opnion if you want to buy a energy drink, you are the one outting your own life at risk. I personally drink a energy drink once everyday very rarley two a day. I much rather drink a energy drink than a pop, ever since I quit pop, I only drink water and a energy drink to give me a taste still.

• I do see your point, and I also have energy drinks quite often, so I understand why you feel that teens should decide for themselves what they are putting into their bodies.

• Ever since I started sports again I stopped drinking them but once I don't have any sports I will drink at least one or two but not a lot. I don't think there should be a limit but I think teens or younger should be smart enough and not drink a lot, it's their choice but I think there shouldn't be because it wakes them up.

• I agree that teens should make the smart decision to not drink energy drinks excessively.

• I do drink energy drinks and I usually get one every morning but it has no sugar in it. I don't think there should be an age limit if people think it's a problem then educate people about it. They can make the decisions themselves if they want to get them or not or the parents can tell their kids they can't have them. I don't think it that big of an issue to make an age limit.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker